Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Hannah's Pillowcase Dress

Nicole and I worked on Hannah's pillowcase dress last week. We did a few things different...but (don't tell Nicole this), I think Hannah's turned out better. 

We had this really cute length of hot pink flowers.  The lady at the fabric store told me to use wonder under and iron it on.  I have never used that stuff before. 

So, first I set out to iron one side of it the back of the flowers.  However, I didn't think about the fact that as I was applying heat the flowers, I was also applying heat to my ironing board.  I ended up wonder-undering my board.  What a mess!

Then I ironed the flowers onto the fabric.  Like I said, I had never used the stuff before, so I didn't realize every stray strand would make a glue mark. So, unfortunately, it's a little messy....but pretty hard to see far away.

Nicole sewed most of the hems, at least until she got bored.  But, she hung with again and watched a lot of it.  Nate and Hannah woke up, so I had to finish the dress that night.

I found a sweet new way to put on bias tape.  Finally...FINALLY!!! I figured it out.  If you sew, you should watch this video.  I've seen it several times over the past two years...but, it finally "clicked" with me last week.  I get it now. 

So....this was the final project.  I LOVED it.  I think it's just precious.


 Hannah did not like it...and still doesn't :(  It makes me so sad.  I don't know why she doesn't like it.  She was so excited about it when we picked out the flowers and fabric.  She was even crying when I made her put it in.  I don't know...maybe she'll decide she likes it one day.

4 comments:

Pat Schooley said...

Hannah looks really cute in her little dress. Tell her that and see if it changes her mind. She doesn't look very happy in the pictures...Haha...

I'm happy that Nicole helped you with it. Your mom was right, you are spending time together, and that is good.

Love you all, and God's Blessings to all of you....
Mama Pat

Jennifer said...

Aww poor Hannah, and poor mommy. Looks great!!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I don't use wonder under specifically but I do use Heat 'n Bond. It's the same concept just a different brand. Anyway, there are two kinds of the heat 'n bond. Lite is the kind that you iron on and then sew over top and then there's the other one that you use iron only and don't sew on. (It'll gum up your sewing needle if you sew over it, I've done it.)

Anyway, for the trim that you used I would have just pinned it onto the dress and sewn it on over top with matching thread instead of using the wonder under. I think you were mislead by the JoAnn lady :)

Anonymous said...

I have more to say! :)

I think I would have just cut out circles of wonder under slightly smaller than the actual flower and ironed it onto the flowers individually if I went that route. I think that's about the only way there would be to do it without getting it all over your iron, ironing board, and fabric. (Don't feel bad about the mess, I did it just a few weeks ago and I've been sewing for a while, it happens.)