Sunday, July 22, 2012

GeoDrawing Camp

Last month, I was asked to leada 3 day Geography/Drawing camp with 40-something 6-8 year olds while their parents receive training for Classical Conversations.  I was a SO excited...and a bit overwhelmed.  I prayed a lot leading up to the camp because I knew I couldn't handle so many kids alone for 6 hours over 3 days.

However, the camp turned out wonderful!  I think the kids had a great time...I had fun...and my teenage helpers were wonderful! 

For Geography we learned about : The Continent and Oceans, the "Great Circles" (equator,  tropics lines, Arctic circle, etc), we learned about the compass and how to read a map (using this).  We did LOTS of world map tracing, and Africa and S. America Tracing.  I read books like "Bringing the Rain to Kapiti Plain", and  "J is for Jambo (a Swahili Alphabet book)".  We learned a worship song in Kitubi, a language spoken The Democratic Republic of Congo, Yesu Azali Awa.  We played map games with my giant shower curtain world map.
For Art we learned about : The 5 elements of drawing and used books like "Not a box", "Ish", "Dot", and "The Pencil".  We drew a mirror/line drawing of King Tut and Masai warriors with abstract robes as well as "Not a box" pictures.   We also "traced" the world with play dough, drew the world on balloons (this as NOT a hit like I thought it would be) and learned about missionaries from Africa and S. America.
Masai Drawing

Masai Drawing

Masai Drawing


Play dough map

outline Africa with Play dough


It's Not a Box!  It's a horse!

It's not a box, it's a submarine




Free Hand Drawing of South America in the "art book"


I can't remember where I found instructions for this guy....

This was My "Not a Box" man that I drew step by step on the board.

This was what the kids drew...pretty good, huh?
Another Not a Box man.

Last Not a Box man:)

It was great fun.  I hope they ask me to do it again :)

No comments: