6. Resolved, to live with all my might, while I do live.
69. Resolved, always to do that, which I shall wish I had done when I see others do it. Aug. 11, 1723.
5. Resolved, never to lose one moment of time; but improve it the most profitable way I possibly can.
7. Resolved, never to do anything, which I should be afraid to do, if it were the last hour of my life.
17. Resolved, that I will live so as I shall wish I had done when I come to die.
52. I frequently hear persons in old age say how they would live, if they were to live their lives over again: Resolved, that I will live just so as I can think I shall wish I had done, supposing I live to old age. July 8, 1723.
9. Resolved, to think much on all occasions of my own dying, and of the common circumstances which attend death.
10. Resolved, when I feel pain, to think of the pains of martyrdom, and of hell.
43. Resolved, never henceforward, till I die, to act as if I were any way my own, but entirely and altogether God’s, agreeable to what is to be found in Saturday, January 12, 1723.
See a full list of his Resolutions here.
I generally do not do Resolutions. The main reason is because I always break them. Whether they are made at the beginning of the year, or at another time. I almost never finish anything. I will never take the last piece of cake (or brownie....or cookie). Most nights I even leave one bite left on my dinner plate. I don't know why. I just never actually finish. There are two things I have not given up on...my marriage and my children. Lord willing, I never will:) So, those two things bring me hope. Hope that I can start something and finish it. Hope that I don't have to quit at whatever else I do. I remember being called a quitter one time when I was growing up...those words have hung with me more than almost any other.
I share that to bring some background to my Resolution. A few weeks ago, our Pastor was preaching on 2 Corinthians 8:9. I started reading the rest of the chapter and a series of verses jumped out at me. Paul (the author of 2 Corinthians) was reminding the (wealthy) Corinthian church about the desire they once had to help support their brothers and sister, other believers, in Jerusalem. These believers were under great persecution, and the Corinthian church seemed to forget, or give up, or just flat out stopped giving to help these other believers. Meanwhile, the (very poor) Macedonian church was giving much, not out of their abundance, but out of their "lack of abundance".
Paul said to the Corinthians "And in this matter I give my judgment: this benefits you, who a year ago started not only to do this work but also to desire to do it. So now finish doing it as well, so that your readiness in desiring it may be matched by your completing it out of what you have. For if the readiness is there, it is acceptable according to what a person has, not according to what he does not have." (2 Cor. 8:10-12)
The Corinthians first had a desire to help...Now Paul is encouraging them to finish the work, because if the readiness was there to start, let it be matched by your completing it. My knowledge about the Scripture is weak at best, and I do try to not take things out of context. My problem is not in not giving to others in need (although I know I ought to do that more). My problem is just flat out not finishing things. So....this is my verse for the year. My Resolution.
Resolved, that when I start something, yea when I have a desire to do it, that I may finish doing it as well, so that my readiness in desiring it may be matched by my completing it out of what I have.
I have a few little projects I am working on.
#1 Paying off our debt. In the past, we have put together a nice little budget and it lasts for about 10 days, at most. I realize I am most in control of our money, so I am taking this on. Taking drastic measures to take back our money, I am making extreme payments and working to only go to the store when I am in great need of groceries for my family (I have not stepped inside of Target since before Christmas...this is BIG and will help me save money as well:)
#2 Teaching my children how to read the Bible and to hide God's word in their hearts. We are on day 3 of morning Bible reading and journaling. Tomorrow starts our first scripture memory for this year, 2 Timothy 3:16, 17 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.
I have a few other projects on my mind, but for now, those are the two items I am Resolved to start and not quit. Whatever I begin, I want to finish...to the best of my ability. Not just this year, but for the rest of my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment