Most days I feel sad when I think about how quickly my children are growing up. We often joke with them about "not letting them" turn another year older or fake cry when they talk about their next birthday. Well, I fake, fake cry....because deep down, I really am sad to watch them grow. And happy, and proud, and scared, and all sorts of other emotions as well.
But recently, I realized one reason why I am both sad to see them grow up and proud to watch them grown. My husband was not feeling well and so I let the kids know that daddy may go to bed as soon as he gets home from work. Rather than play outside with everyone, Nicole decided to stay inside and prepare for his arrival home. I really didn't know what she was up to, but felt like I could trust her.
Well, that sweet little girl was "decorating" the sofa with all kinds of pillows and blankets. She had them nicely displayed and ready for a nap. She also set up a make shift table for him with a glass of water, a plate of crackers and a sign that said, " For Daddy". The sweetness didn't stop there.
Just before bed, the girls asked if they could make a get well card for their daddy. Hannah's was several pages of (somewhat scary :) sad faces and one page that said, "I don't know why you got a fever." I dictated how to spell the words, but the sentence was her idea, and she wrote it herself:)
Nicole made a two page card that said to the effect of : Dear daddy, I hope you feel better tonight or tomorrow. Just pray to God and he will make you feel better. Please pray to him and he will help you. You are the best daddy I've ever met." She included several hearts and a rainbow or two.
I loved Nicole's heart to serve her father and do something to help him feel better.
I loved their sweet little cards. I was proud they were growing into such compassionate and loving girls (and really proud of Nicole's attempts at spelling and writing such a long letter without any help except for the word ' tomorrow').
I guess the sadness came into play because I realize these are sweet gifts from children. Although I hope they continue to write sweet cards as they grow up, reality tells me that they may not.
I love my children.
No comments:
Post a Comment