One of the last units we studied with Cycle 1 of CC this year was weather. I found this really great packet full of fun weather related science activities. We spent a day trying most of them out.
This was my favorite. For the first time ever (I know...I'm slow) I understood how weather fronts works, in the most basic ways of course. I think this activity was called "Creating a Thunderstorm". It was great! The night before, I made several blue ice cubes. The next morning we filled a container with warm tap water. I put some red food coloring on the right side, and dropped a blue ice cub on the left side. Immediately, you could see the warm water "rising" over the blue cold water. Isn't it cool?
| This is the moment of the Thunderstorm |
| You can see the cold front has taken over. |
Next, we went outside to see if we could catch air. We used a plastic produce bag. For some reason, they were REALLY impressed by this. Now, every time I go to the grocery store, they grab produce bags and run around "catching" the air.
| Her bag of air. |
We tried to make rain. I've done this one before and failed. No surprise here...didn't work again.
We made a cloud in this bottle. Nicole thought it was pretty cool, so we kept doing it.
I forget what we were trying to figure out here...but, the balloon got sucked into the bottle as the air inside it got colder.
This was another "weird" one. We were suppose to be discovering that air has weight. The weird thing is that the deflated balloon showed more weight than the inflated one (wrong answer). I am a good resource for science projects gone wrong by the way.
This experiment was suppose to help us understand why the sky is blue. I still don't know ;)
This is a really cool math cube I found on pinterest. Nicole learned about fact families, and this die had three numbers on each side. She had to roll the die then write the fact family math problems out.
| I have no idea what is going on here...but it looks fun! |
No comments:
Post a Comment