The WWII Wary Birds came into town again. This was our second time seeing them. However, I'm not a "been there, done that" type of person. Generally, I feel like, if something was great once, it may be even better a second time....especially if the kids are older! Of course, I was right :) haha.
We do not have a strong military history in our family. The closest direct family members who served were my grandfather, the kids' Great-Grandfathers. So, the military is not always at the top of our family discussions. However, I want the kids to grow up with a respect for those who serve and a better understanding of our country's history. So, I am grateful for events like these. Events where they can touch, feel, and attempt to imagine what it may have been like.
Fun with great friends!
Bryson and Ty met up with us...this is their "scared face"
Due- that tire is as big as they are!
The kids found a veteran and came out him with a booket full of questions. As always, he was hesitant to answer at first. However, he quickly realized that the kids were sincere in their questions and they chatted for quite a while. I am so thankful for veterans who are willing to pass their stories on to us.
Imagining take off in these "seats"
A few weeks later, we took an hour to walk through the military museum. We met this nice man who served in Vietnam and other areas around the world. He was FULL of stories and information. I really think it made his day to share his stories with the kids.
This is a beautiful memorial. This State of Florida flag has nearly 2,000 miniature USA flags in it, each one representing a Florida resident who died in Vietnam, or was a MIA or a POW. It's quite a powerful display.
No comments:
Post a Comment