Our town just suffered a direct hit by Category 3, Hurricane
Irma. This was one big, bad storm! It shattered hurricane records (longest
sustaining Cat 5, lowest pressure, largest windfield, etc.) 10 days before landfall, the Hurricane Center
was predicting a direct hit to our area of Florida.
However, experience has told me that when you
are in the center of the “cone of uncertainty” 10 days in advance, it’s
generally a good thing, because that cone will significantly move. Whelp…I was
wrong this time. Although some models
wanted it to move to the east coast, the storm had its sights set on Southwest
Florida.
About 5 days before the storm, we got into serious storm
prep mode. We chose to stay ( see other
blog posts about that decision), and so I wanted to make sure we could take
care of our family for 10 days without needing any help. 10 days…that is what stuck in my mind. Looking back….I think we did a pretty good
job preparing, and we were fully self-sustaining for 10 days.
Hurricane Preparation Tips (in no particular order)
Hurricane Preparation Tips (in no particular order)
1. Freeze
bags of water: Each day for 5 days, I would fill 2 gallon sized zip lock bags
with water, and then freeze it. The idea
behind this is…the more full your freezer is, the longer it will stay cold. AND….that huge block of ice will be welcomed
cold water a few days after the storm. I
had never done this before, so I wasn’t sure how it would work….but it was
perfect! I truly believe this one prep
tip made a HUGE difference. Our freezer
was cold three and a half days after our electricity went out. Our food was still frozen, because it was
surrounded by these blocks of ice. We
tried not to open the freezer door.
2. Cook all of your meat: I wasn’t sure if this was a good or bad
idea…but, I figured it couldn’t hurt. I
cooked all of my meat before the storm.
This meant no raw meat the fridge or freezer to worry about (or stink
up). I put all of my frozen chicken
breasts in a crock pot, threw some seasoning on top, and let it cook all day
long. Then, I shredded the chicken and
portioned it into gallon size freezer bags.
I cooked about 4 pounds of ground beef and portioned it into freezer
bags too. I also made about 2 dozen meat
balls, and again, put it into freezer bags.
Next time, I will make some hamgburgers too. It was wonderful to have meat for dinners
after working in yards all day. The
cooked meat defrosted quickly, and I cooked it over the side burner of our grill. We had tacos, fajitas, soup, chicken &
noodles, and more.
3. Fill all of our sports bottles and pitchers with
water the morning of the storm. We did
this and used it for the first day, so as to not dip into our water supply.
4. Empty your ice maker once your electric goes
out. I put mine in a cooler and had ice
into the next morning 😊
5. Work together: Make a plan with the family and
work together. Move all of your outdoor
furniture inside, etc.
6. Norwex Body Cloth: This makes you feel fresh and clean when you
can’t shower for two weeks. Just a bit
of water on your cloth, start with your face and then work your way down to the
dirty areas last. The kids and myself
used a body cloth to stay clean (we each had our own) and it was amazing. You NEED some of these!
7. Parked the truck in the garage, and filled the
truck with items we really didn’t want to get wet. I mean…crazy stuff would have had to happen
to get through the garage and then
inside the truck.
8. Have BOB (Bug Out Bag) ready: We could have left at a moments notice before
the storm hit (or after) because I did have clothes and important documents
ready to go if we needed to leave in a moments notice.
9. Pray & Praise: The most awesome we thing we did as a family
was create a Prayer and Praise wall for our “hunker down” corner. Right after our electric went out, we sat
around the table and started writing out scripture, prayers, and prayer
requests. We spent time in prayer for
all of our friends and family, and in praise over our Lord. We then taped this up on our bedroom wall and
referenced it throughout the scary times of the storm. We have often went back
and added to it as the weeks progressed.
10. Have a “hunker down” corner. We put our son’s twin mattress on the floor
in our bedroom and made it “fun” for the kids.
It was like camping. We had
pillows and blankets, an ipad, our radio, etc.
During the eye wall, we sang together, we prayed together, and we
listened too. But, it was a safe place for our family to gather and be
comfortable.
There are obvious things you need to do to prepare….but I
didn’t include those. Of course, have
your important documents handy, buy batteries, water, fill your vehicles with
gas, etc. These were just some extra
things that I think really helped us.
What we wish we had, but didn’t.
Generator: Honestly, didn’t even cross my
mind. God provided (more in another
post)
Chainsaw: We stayed to help…but quickly realized
that we needed a chainsaw to help. God
provided (more in another post)
Baby Wipes:
These will become a hurricane kit staple. It would have been so nice to have that to
wipe our hands with.
Extra underwear and socks: Because, it gets gross when you can’t do
laundry. ‘nuff said.
No comments:
Post a Comment