Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Waterfalls

One thing I learned very quickly about Jeremy is that he will go to great lengths to not only see, but also experience a waterfall.  It's a good thing we were able to find a whole bunch right along our drive from Franklin to Highlands.
It had already been unseasonably wet, so the waterfalls were really flowing.  A few weeks later, some of the ones we have pictured here were over taking the roads. 

This was called "Bust your Butt Falls".  Apparently, it is a popular swimming destination, however the falls were much too strong to swim in.  However, I was nearly unsuccessful in convincing my husband and first born of this.  They were so close to jumping in....eek!

Jeremy and the girls climbed across a dozen rocks to settle on this one, in the middle of the river, with the falls behind them.  I was watching for the shore, because I was afraid.  Afraid someone would slip.  Afraid I would get hurt if I tried.  Afraid a snake out jump out and bite me.  Afraid someone would die.  I had all kinds of fears rushing through my mind.  But then....I looked out and saw Jeremy hold up his phone to take this picture...and it dawned on me that I was allowing my fears to reign and I was missing out.  I was missing out on adventure.  I was missing out on fun.  I was missing out on a story to tell.  And,quite honestly, my thought was this, "They are taking our family Christmas picture....and I'm' not even in it!"


So, despite my fears, I started to crawl my way to them.  My legs were shaking, my eyes were searching for danger, and my heart was pounding...but I was going to make it to my family.  

 I finally made it.  Although I was still a whiny chicken, I think my kids were proud of me.


I made Jeremy retake the picture, so that I could be in it too.  Turns out...it's not a very good Christmas picture :) haha.  


The kids crawled all over the rocks like they grew up there.  They were sure footed, and naturals.  I was still terrified that one would slip, fall into the rapids, and die.  But, no one did.  Everyone was safe.  



I can't remember the name of this falls right now, but it is famous.  It was in the movie, The Last of Mohicans.  This waterfall was from Jeremy's dreams, I'm quite certain.  I had not seen him this happy in a long time.  We spent several hours here, just enjoying the falls.  


There is a neat path that allows you to walk behind the falls



The path continues on the other side.


This looks like a better Christmas card picture, no rock climbing required.


So much fun!!!









More climbing for my adventurers












As we made our way to Highlands, there were two more waterfalls.  This one actually falls over the road.  Cars used to be allowed to drive behind the small falls, but they had it blocked off now, so we just stood behind it ;)




These are the 'falls' as we head into Highlands.  Of course, we pulled over and found a path to follow to get a closer view.  



After an exhausting and trying few days....this day of seeking out waterfalls filled this man up.  It's always fun to see him enjoy the day.  




No comments: