Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Goats

I have to admit, that there are days I struggle with contentment.  Being content where we are and doing what we are doing.  Sometimes I get lost in my own fantasy world of "what if's" and "what it would be like's".  I must confess, that Sunday was one of those days.

My friend Jessica called me a couple of weeks ago and told me that her family had just bought three goats.  She knew I would be excited about it, because we really want to have a couple of acres and some little animals running around. We know nothing about living like that, but when we talk about it and think about, we get lost in the dream world of what we think it would be like.  Well, Sunday didn't help, because we were near Jessica's home, so we swung in, totally unexpected, and almost unannounced (except when I called her to tell her we were in her driveway).
We wanted to see these goats.  They were only a few weeks old.  Almost immediately, our girls wanted in their pen to get a closer look.  Nathan was screaming and flailing his arms (Nate talk for....let me at 'em...I want to touch it).  It was so fun!  These goats have been bottle fed (and de-horned...is that a word?) and so they were very comfortable around us.  Jess also has three children very close in age to ours. 

After a few minutes of casual observation and a few chases, the girls wanted to get closer.  Hannah was first.  She liked the black goat.  She worked up the courage for several minutes before she actually tried to pick him up.  It was very cute to watch her almost do it...and then jump away giggling. 

 

Once Nicole saw her little sister trying to hold the goats, she wanted in on the action too.


I wish I could describe all of the giggling we heard those 20 minutes  at Jessica's house.  The girls giggled every time the goats jumped on or off the chair or table out there. They laughed when the goats would run away when being chased, and when they would hide under the chair. They laughed when the goats would eat the leaves off of the bushes.  They enjoyed their time.
Nathan was also fascinated with these animals. He was very gentle when he touched them, and was always trying to get out of our arms to get a closer look.

Sunday, I wanted a goat, or two, or three.  I've actually never wanted goats...but, now maybe I do, one day...when we have more than a suburban backyard.  Until then, I must be content with what I have...because what I have is wonderful. We have a nice home that has AC and heat, a yard for the kids to play in, and most importantly...a family that loves each other more than any other family I know....now we just need a few goats (or maybe a dog.....hmmm)

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Aww those were great pictures. Thanks for sharing... being content is so hard. Especially when you are surrounded by people who have a lot.

Amanda said...

Oh my goodness. Those goats aren't even like real goats...they seem more like huge cats!

I can not imagine taking care of my own kids...plus 3 outdoor ones, too (goats).