President's Day came and went this year, and I actually remembered it!
Last Monday we started our president's day celebration, and it continued all week as we read about George Washington and Abraham Lincoln.
While reading about Abraham Lincoln, the girls made a log cabin. We painted peanut butter on a small tea box and then stuck small stick pretzels around the box. If I thought ahead, I could have used a small milk box, because it would have helped us make the roof. After I took the picture, Nicole added a chimney...however it looked like a cannon!
We also made George Washington wigs. Now, this was very impromptu, can't you tell? I used a bright green gift bag. I cut out the shape of the wig, including the tail. The girls painted glue all over the bag and then randomly stuck cotton balls over it.
Finally, we made a President's Day necklace. Nicole traced and cut out three different color stars. We glued them together and then glued a penny in the center. Hannah also made one, but I did all the cutting for her.
In between all of the crafts, we read several books about these two historic presidents and about the Presidency in general. The girls also made a "book" that I printed from the Internet. Nicole has one more book that she's making, but it keeps getting pushed to the side.
All in all, it was a fun day. I know the girls learned a few fun facts about the George Washington and Abraham Lincoln. Oh, we are also watching a PBS Cartoon called "Liberty Kids". I don't think it's on TV anymore, but it is on netflix. I am not a history buff...but it 's a nice little program that teaches children some basic information from the colonial period. I enjoy watching it as well.
Now...on to Dr. Seuess' birthday! That's Wednesday!












1 comment:
Soo cute! I was hoping to see the wig on Nathan! Great job momma!
Post a Comment