Friday, June 10, 2011

Stuck in a Rut

Stuck in a rut.  How do those words make you feel?  When someone says they are "stuck in a rut" what are they trying to say? 

I have always taken that  phrase in the negative sense.  The person is stuck doing the same thing over and over and can't seem to get away from it.  But, maybe...just maybe it can be positive too. 

The other day, I started describing myself (in my own head, to myself) as being "Stuck in rut".  I was getting bummed about the way my every day life goes.  I wake up at the same time, have the same conversations, complete the same tasks and duties, make the same dinners, have the same routine day, noon and night.  I feel like I'm stuck in a rut...and this rut is growing deeper and deeper and it is long long road.

But, maybe it's not a bad thing.  A rut means it is a road well traveled.  It is a rut that (hopefully) has a destination.  Maybe the fact that I am "stuck in a rut" means whatever I'm doing is important, is working...and is leading me to my destination.

However, You must choose your ruts carefully, right?  Because you could get stuck in a rut that leads to destruction. A rut of self-pity, pride, selfishness.  These kind of ruts can grow deeper and deeper so that when danger or difficulties come....you truly are stuck and you can't go anywhere else.

A good rut has a well worn groove, but when that danger comes, you are able to get out of it. It might be difficult and take some time, but the rut does not define YOU, you define it. 

I'm stuck in a rut....this is good and/or bad.  It's good if my rut has been made from daily activities that are important, however mundane.  It's good if the rut has created a routine that my kids can anticipate. 

It is bad if it leads to self pity.  When I notice my rut taking me from where I should go, I need to get out, as soon as possible.  It might be hard.  I might break a wheel....but a wheel can be replaced.  A drowned wagon can not.  It is important that my ruts do not create me...but that I create them, and diverge from then when necessary.

What kind of rut are you in today?

1 comment:

karen said...

I really enjoyed reading this, what a great job you did writing this, I love to read your thoughts. I guess I have not really ever thought about being stuck in Rut, but as I have thought about it, it pretty much is a way of Life for the major part of the population (in a Negative sense).

I prefer to stay on the positive side of the rut, but I do get stuck in a bad rut every now and then , and you are right, it is so............hard to get out, when I am in a rut I find it very difficult to do my job to the best of my ability weather it be at home or work.

We need laughter, smiles, hugs and much prayer everyday to stay of the valley of self-pity pride, and selfishness. I don't like it there and will fight with everything in me not to be fall in to that Rut (the negative one)

The Rut you are in is the most important Rut of all, you are forming destinations...characters, and teaching not to follow the road to destruction. Thank you for being stuck in Rut at home teaching and loving your children, you could be at really horrible job with unkind co worker, a boss who is a pain, and negative vibes around you each day, because you HAVE TOO!!

ALWAYS REMEMBER, TO WEAR A SMILE IT'S THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU WEAR!!

Love ya Muches xoxoxoxoxox