Thursday, August 25, 2011

Kindergarten, Weeks 1 & 2

We are not totally "in the swing of things" yet.  I really feel like my schooling is in limbo unti CC starts, which isn't until September.  Until then, we are limping our way through math, geography, phonics and writing.  I don't want to get really involved in something, only to drop it in a couple of weeks.  I will explain more how our days go later (because I've written 4 blogs today...they are just being published at different times, and I'm tired of sitting here). 

For our first couple of weeks, we did math almost ever day.  I am working through a math book that is for ages 5-8.  We started it a few months ago.  It's not really a curriculum, and I am ok with that for now.  It's just a really great workbooks that hits on lots of math topics.  We just finished skip counting and sequence and we have now moved onto geometry.

For Geography/History we using Road Trip USA. This is a curriculum written by a homeschooling mom.  I really like it so far.  We learn about a new state every 2 days (2 states a week for us).  This coincides well with CC...which is all about American History this year.  We also are reading through several books like "If you were there when they signed the consitution", "If you traveled west in a covered wagon", Revolutionary War Days, stories, crafts and recipes...and so forth.  This week have learned about Conneticut and Delaware.  Tonight we are making Conneticut Clam Chowder and Crab cakes...I've never made or eaten either!  I'm not sure how this will go.  We also have a Travel Log we will be keeping and updating as we "travel" from state to state.

Nicole has been working on her sewing.  She sewed a  ship  on paper this day.  It's mostly just practicing technique and getting used to the machine.


Nicole also has spelling words which we practice with for writting as well.  This was Day1.  I wrote the words, and then she re-wrote them on the white board.


Hannah has a few workbooks I use with her.  I can Draw and I can cut are the two most popular ones.  This one she is tracing a rainbow....in order to prepare her for more difficult pages in the near future.



I'm hoping I get better at being prepared and planning...we shall see....we shall see.

3 comments:

karen said...

hoping your dinner was wonderful tonight New England style. Nicole does such a great job on her sewing machine....writting her words and geometry.WOW....I am just impressed that she knows how to skip count and knows her presidents. And Hannah is just being a sponge taking it all in.

I think you are already prepared....I want to see what happens when you are really prepared......watch out world.
You are a wonderful creative mom and teacher to your little ones.....they are BLESSED!!

Amanda said...

Nicole's handwriting is excellent! Good job girl!

Cutie pie Hannah. :)

Michele said...

Oh, thanks Amanda...it's nice to hear that from someone who has seen a lot of kid's handwriting:) We are working really hard at forming our letters properly. It's one of those "boring" skills that I think a lot of kids miss out on. But, I feel like it's important.