Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Happy Birthday to my SIX year old!

Oh, my dear, sweet, darling baby is certainly NOT a baby anymore.  She is growing up into a beautiful, caring, God fearing young lady.  Ooooo...I just love her so much!  My heart breaks that she is growing so quickly, while at the same time swells with pride as I watch her learn and grow.

She is such a blessing in our lives!  We have had an exciting 6th year with her.  She's lost 4 teeth since her last birthday and learned how to ride a bike.  I wonder what this year will bring (I already know 3 more teeth will be gone by the end of summer...poor thing won't be able to eat for a few months ;)

We have had a fun day celebrating her 6th birthday so far (and there are still a few more hours left). 

I found a great idea a few months ago and presented it to Nicole and she wanted to do it as well.  We thought of 6 "Random Acts of Kindness" to perform today, on her 6th birthday.  I read the examples I found on another blog and it inspired us to come up with our own ideas. 

1.  We took a plate of cookies to a neighbor who has three ailing parents they care for...all in their 90s.  They have helpers during the day and we just thought it would be nice to bless them with a plate of cookies.  Most of the residents in the home speak Spanish, so our conversations are often pieces of words in each other's language, but I want this to be something we do more often.  They are right across from us and I'm sure could use a bit of encouragement. 


Our little note and cookies for our garbage men...complete with a balloon :)
2.  We also left a container of cookies for our garbage men.  These guys do it the "old fashioned way".  No strong machine lifting these garbage containers...nope...just the strong men.  And, bless their hearts, we have some pretty wretched garbage at times...not to mention the two cans full of grass clipping we saw fall out all over the road last week (and then watched them shovel up). These guys honestly deserve more than cookies...we should grill them a steak sometime! hahaha.

Delivering cards to a Veteran's Nursing Home
3.  This was my FAVORITE part today.  The State Veteran's Nursing Home is just around the corner from our neighborhood.  Ever since we moved here, I've wanted to volunteer there in some way.  Yesterday, the kids (all three) made several handmade cards each...complete with "Have a Happy Day" and stickers and drawings.  We went by the nursing home and asked the front desk staff if they could give a few of the residents our cards and let them know that we were thinking of them and praying for them.  Well...they did better than that!  They invited us back with them.  We spent about 10 minutes handing out cards to 8 or so Veterans, some of whom even passed on a hug to the girls.  It was such a blessing to spend a few minutes with these men, who served so faithfully for our country.  I know that one man is a Colonel, and he just loved the girls.  I want to expose my children to opportunities like this so much more!  The staff said we would be welcome back any time :)  I think everyone loved seeing the little girls (and Nicole was dressed in her flower girl dress with a tiara).  Nate also got involved and showed off his McQueen cars. 

Clothing donation
4.  Next stop was to drop off a clothing donation we've been putting together to the Christian Social Services.  They have a thrift store (which I frequent ;) and seem to have a nice ministry in the area.

Dropping off cookies to the fire men
5.  Then we headed to a local fire station.  We took another plate of cookies with a note saying, "Thank you for serving our community!".  They were so excited to have visitors (and again impressed with Nicole's dress ;)  They gave us a tour of their facility and showed off the fire truck.  Only Hannah would get in though ;)
Hannah inside the fire truck

6.  Our last stop was to our church.  We are so grateful the Lord has allowed us to find a church with all of the qualifications we were looking for after we moved.  We thought it would be fun to honor our pastor, an avid Starbucks drinker with his favorite coffee...but, since we didn't know what that was, we just gave him a gift card and hand made cards instead :)  The kids love our pastor and his family...and Nicole made sure I didn't forget this last stop in our 6 Random Acts of Kindness on her 6th birthday.

(by the way...Nicole really did have fun doing this.  She looks miserable in most of the pictures, but I think it was the sun;)

We spent a few hours at Busch Gardens as well today, and one of our 'acts' was going to be there...but it didn't work out.  Nicole wants to feed the Lory birds (I'm dreading this by the way...these birds land on your head and arms and everywhere.  I know I will get pooped on when this day comes.  Anyway....)  She's been wanting to feed these birds. So...I told her that she could buy the food with her birthday money.  I finally figured out that this is why she wanted to go to Busch Gardens on her birthday.  We were in line to get food when we found out that they were shutting everything down because there was lighting in the area.  We were going to buy a thing of food for the person in line behind us...but we didn't get to.

Riding the ONE ride at Busch Gardens
After almost 2 hours of waiting inside a restaurant, the storm let up enough for us to get to the tram and out to the car.  So...we spent over 3 hours at Busch Gardens today, but only rode one ride.  hahaha.  The kids did great though, and I think they had fun.  We played games and got to watch a dancing show while we waited for the storm to pass. 

Now, we are home and watching Beauty and the Beast.  I think 5 guys has been requested for dinner tonight. 

Nicole has been so excited about her day and gave specific decorating instructions to me yesterday (by the way...I didn't do it right....she sounds  a lot like me! haha).

Nicole knows how to make a birthday fun...both hers and other people's.  I can not wait to see what this next year will be like for her.  As always....we pray that the Lord would be glorified in her life, wherever He leads.

Happy Birthday my little princess.  I love you so much!!!

4 comments:

Pat Schooley said...

Happy Happy Birthday Nicole..Love you lots.

Grandma Pat

Valerie said...

Can't think of a better way to spend the day.....loving and serving others!! "love one another, just as I have loved you, by this everyone will know that you are my disciples"
Happy Birthday my sweet Nicole, I love you so!!

karen said...

This post brought tears to my eyes....what a wonderful, Caring, sharing 6th Birthday!! You are growing into such a Special young lady, with a Heart that only few experience at such a young age.

Happy 6th Birthday our precious Nicole....we are a BLESSING!!! By the way you look Beautiful in your Birthday dress!! Love, Love, Love You so much!! ((((HUGS))))

Amanda said...

So cute! Great ideas! Some friends of ours just started getting sodas (pop) for some construction guys they see out every day, all day. All they do is stand there and flip the stop/go signs for traffic, so nearly every day, this family with five little kids stops and gives the two guys each a pop. I love that idea so much! I'll need to be on the lookout for ways to bless others and teach my kiddos how to do the same. Thanks for the ideas, friends! And Happy Birthday Nicole!