Thursday, August 23, 2012

On Pins and Needles

Our second week of 1st grade has been rudely interrupted.  The week started off great with our first day of Classical Conversations, Cycle 1.  This is our third year in CC, and my second year tutoring (well, I only got to tutor 1/2 a  year last year because we moved).  It was a great day!  I had fun tutoring, I have great kids in my class with wonderful moms.  Hannah had her first day of CC, and have the chaos of the first 20 minutes, she made it into class and had a wonderful day!

Tuesday morning we began our study on Ancient Egypt.  We spent time reading about Egypt and began our lapbook.  We also reviewed all of our CC memory work and songs.  It was a fun morning.

Nicole has gymnastics on Tuesdays, so I am trying to go to the library before gymnastics every week.  We made it this week, and it went well (library time is generally very stressful to me and I almost always end up upset with my kids...it's terrible).  We are old enough now (all of us) to begin working on better library skills though.  So...this is the year. We checked out like 25 books! haha. 

Then, off we went to gymnastics.  Nicole had a blast and told me after class that it was "perfect!".  I was happy to hear that because she wasn't to excited about doing gymnastics in the first place. 

We went straight home after the gym.  As I was getting Nathan unbuckled from his car seat, Nicole was walking over to me to get the keys so she could unlock the garage door.  All of a sudden I heard a scream and then crying.  I looked back and Nicole was laid out flat on the driveway. 

******WARNING!!!! STOP READING HERE IF YOU DON'T WANT TO HEAR WHAT HAPPENED OR SEE PICTURES******

I picked Nicole up and noticed the bottom part of her left arm "dangling".  She cried out in pain and grabbed her arm and put it into an "L" shape.  Immediately I knew it was hurt very badly.  I calming told her we need to find a Dr. right away and got the other two back in the car.

At this point, Nicole was very calm.  She knew she was hurt really badly, but afraid the Dr. would hurt her more.  I told her that we need to get her arm looked at and fixed.  At this point, I thought she dislocated her elbow.  This is a picture I sent to Jeremy while we were driving to the urgent care.
on the way to the urgent care


On the way to the Urgent Care I was trying to remain calm and told Nicole that we should pray.  She said (and I love this about her)..."I already have mom."  Kind of like - Why are you just now thinking of that?  She loves Jesus and truly trust that He will take care of her.  Oh- to have her faith!
Sitting at the X-ray table

I carried her into Urgent Care where they were very very nice and accommodating (I had all three with me at this point).  They got Xrays and told me that her arm was broken and that she would more than likely need surgery.  Thankfully they pulled me back in another room because that was when the tears began to flow for me.  My heart was crushed that she was hurt so bad...and that she was being SO tough!  Seriously....no crying or hysterics at all.  A few slow tear drops, and lots of sweat, but she was SO calm!  I knew I had to stay calm for her!
um....pretty clear where the break is :(

The UC people called a few hospitals and determined the best one for us to go to.  I knew I needed to find someone to help me with Nathan and Hannah because I had a feeling I'd be at the hospital for a while.  I called a super sweet neighbor who agreed to take them for the rest of the afternoon (and evening).  I am so so so grateful for her doing this. 

So, Nicole and I took off for the hospital downtown.  We finally reaped a benefit of living near a big city.  Had we been in Naples, we may have had to wait until the next day to find an orthopedic Dr. for her surgery.  But, not here, we went to an ER that had a children's hospital attached and an orthopedic Dr. ready for surgery at 8:00 at night (that was when she actually went into surgery.

The hospital staff was nice.  They did more xrays and examined her at different times.  Nicole continued to be tough...but you could tell the exhaustion was setting in for her.  She dealt well with an IV being put in and breathed deeply through exams that I know were extremely painful.  She actually fell asleep for an hour before surgery happened.  I really feel like she knew the "peace that passes understanding".  She was truly at peace through it all.  We had lots and lots of people praying for her.
Waiting for surgery in the children's hospital

Finally, at 7:50, they took my sweet baby back. She was put fully under and even had a breathing tube put in:(  I had to leave to come home and get Nate and Hannah.  Jeremy told me I would have to fight him if I wanted to stay ;)  So...in lieu of fighting my wonderful husband, I left him there to wait for Nicole.  It's just as hard on daddy as it is on mommy. 

They put three or four pins in her elbow/ humerus bone.  The doctor said it went "perfect".  A few hours later, Nicole and Jeremy were home! 
The doc wrote "yet" on the arm that needed pins...you know...just in case!

I slept with Nicole in the guest room (so thankful we have an extra bed now!).  It was a long night.  Lots of waking up...but we made it.  Yesterday Nicole watched 4 movies and was in a lot of pain most of the day. 
watching movies with brother and sister

Finally, after three attempts I found a pharmacy with her prescriptions available and she is on stronger pain meds that helped her through the night last night.  She is finally smiling and talking like a silly girl! 

She has been very brave and tough.  She has about 4 weeks in the full arm cast.  I'm sure many more pictures will come.
A Special Delivery of balloons from Grammy and Gramps cheered her up.  She also got some beautiful flowers from Yaya and Papa, but doesn't have her shirt on for that photo, so I won't post it on here.

I am thankful that she is ok.  The we have doctors who can help...and felt a heavy burden for the children in the children's ward who couldn't go home that night.  Who maybe had been there for weeks, and had many more weeks left to live at the hospital. 

This morning....about 36 hours after surgery.  First time really up and dressed.  Gave her a little sponge bath and did her hair.  Now, she's back in bed. At least I caught a smile.  (The next picture I took she said, "I don't want to smile anymore)

No comments: