Monday, December 10, 2012

Grinch Week

Grinch...through the years, the Grinch has somehow become a symbol of Christmas time traditions.  I hear people called a Grinch more often than a Scrooge (also a famouse Christmas tradition ;)
Yep....I drew him

We had  a lot of fun with our Grinch week.

We watched the newer version of Grinch with a family movie night. 
I read the Dr. Seuss book to the children.  We talked about the main idea of the story.  The girls had to come up with a list of adjectives for the Grinch.  This was the first time they had done something like this.  They finally understood what I was asking for after some prompting.  Then, it seemed they couldn't stop thinking of adjectives.

We talked about the portion of Ezekiel when God tells Israel that he will remove their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh and try to relate that to Grinch's small, dead and spider web covered heart to his brand new, huge, beating, loving heart at the end of the book.  Although The Grinch wasn't redeemed, it was a good opportunity to remind the girls that God is the only one who can truly change a cold, dead heart.

The pinnacle of our Grinch week was our Grinch Dinner.  The girls spent all day helping me plan, decorate and prepare our Grinch Dinner.
They are making their "Grinch" faces.  You know...mean.

Nicole insisted upon putting the fork and knife in our "Roast Beast", just like the Who-villes
Green punch and Green cookies.  I forgot the green beans

We all wore green, since Mr. Grinch is green.  We served a "Who Roast Beast" (A whole chicken, which is rarely cooked around here).  "Who Hash" (the potatoes and carrots around the chicken).  We had "Who Pudding" (Pistachio pudding, otherwise known as Watergate Salad), Green drinks and Green Chocolate Chip cookies.

The girls helped to make everything!  We spent the day cooking in the kitchen.
Who Pudding

Love Nicole's eyes here, hahaha

Nate helped scoop the sherbet into the punch

They also decorated the table with a green table cloth and a village piece to represent Who-ville.

I included this special surprise on their plate.  I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who "got it".  But, I loved the idea of the Grinch licking the candy canes and turning them all green, hahaha.
Click on the picture to read what it says.  I got it here.

Finally, we played "Pin the Heart on the Grinch".  This was a blast.  The kids laughed and laughed...and kept asking to try again. Nate insisted on wearing the blindfold, then would get upset because he couldn't see!  Even with the blindfold off, he couldn't quite get the heart where it belong.
Nicole is up first

You can see all of our adjectives we used to describe the Grinch

Hannah...being So Silly!  She had so much 'flavor' to our family;)

Finally found the wall

Love this picture again...check out Hannah cracking up!

Daddy!!!!  That is NOT where the Grinch is!!!

It seems I got a little lost as well.

I can hear her laughter, can you?


One more go 'round
Nate insisted upon wearing the blindfold....

....then pulled it off because he couldn't see!

Nicole came up with the idea of drawing the spider web on the Grinch where his heart should be.

It was a fun week!  I actually think the kids learned some interesting fact, they certainly had fun.  Maybe it will become a tradition ;)

No comments: