Every year I try to buck the system, and every year I end up failing. I've never been a fan of New Year's Resolutions because I know that for the most part, they fail in less than 6 weeks. However, it's hard to not think back on the past year and see where changes need to be made.
I've decided to give in, and just go with it. Last year, our focus was on our budget and money habits. I think the past twelve months have shown more control in our spending and have set nice foundations for the future.
It's time to move on and think beyond ourselves. This year, our focus is on serving and loving others. I want our family to get outside of ourselves. We are searching for ways that we can put others before ourself. Ways that we can serve people who need help, love on those who are unloved, and share resources with those who need them more than we do.
We started this process earlier this week by visiting a nursing home with a friend and her daughter. It was a beautiful 45 minutes. The kids asked to go back the next day. The residents of the facility flocked to the children. Nicole brought her Bible and read Genesis chapter 1 to a woman named Clara. Clara had been playing the piano as we came in the door. So, after Nicole was done reading, they went to the piano and Nicole played Silent Night for her. Clara then showed Nicole some tips for piano playing and music reading. Nicole spent another 15 minutes with Clara as several other woman came around her. She passed out bracelets she had made, and those ladies were simply overjoyed to receive a gift from her like that. Before we left, the ladies all asked Nicole to come back and play piano for them again. One said to me, "I just love to see these little ones and listen to their music."
Hannah sat with a beautiful woman named Mary. Mary read Hannah a book, and then Hannah read a ballerina book to her. We found out later that Mary was 100 years old! The ladies doted on Hannah and her pink dress, pink ear rings, and pink hair bow. Hannah got up and twirled for them (since they were talking about Ballet). A woman named Angelina saw a kitty cat book that Hannah had and quickly came over to share in the reading.
Several men sat down near by and started waving at Nathan (as he hung upside down from the couch or my arms). I love it. I loved every moment of it. I loved that the kids loved it. I loved that the residents loved it. I just simply loved it. We want this to be a regular event. Maybe even every week. We can give 45 minutes every week to spend time with these sweet people, right? Loving others.
We are also looking for ways to participate with a pregnancy resource group. There are ideas of filling a baby bottle with money the children earn while doing chores, getting 'caught' doing something good or kinds, etc. We've talked about hosting a baby wipes/diaper drive with friends and family to help a center have tools to give to young moms, or even working on donor gift baskets.
I would also like to put together little baggies of necessities for homeless shelters or something like that.
We are going to participate more fully in C.O.L.E.S. and write letter monthly to a child in the hospital.
What other ideas do you have of ways we can serve and love others?
2 comments:
I am in tears as I red this.....just knowing how much theses men and ladys enjoy the fun and laughter , and even the quiet times reading and playing the piano, with the sweetest kids on the face of this earth......what a BLESSING this was for the residents and for the kids. Thanks for being a mother who wants her children to be selfless.....and to understand the NEEDS of OTHERS!!! Your future projects sound wonderful......I would LOVE to donate some money to help fill up some packages. Happy new Year ! Much Love!
I want to do this! Loved reading about your experience!
Post a Comment