We are moving into uncharted territory for me as a mother. Fully out of the baby/preschool zone, we are now facing the teen years head on. I think I am more terrified than I was with the babies. Well, almost. I was pretty nervous about having a baby to care for.
I have a very strong desire to develop deep relationships with my children. I don't want to "loose" them in these upcoming teen years. I want them to know that I (we) are here. I think that this starts now. Well, actually, it started almost 11 years ago, but I want to work hard at these relationships over the next few years. It is one of my top priorities.
Nicole will be 11 in about 6 weeks. So, today we went on our first Mother/Daughter date, using the book 8 Great Dates for Moms and Daughters by Secret Keeper Girl. It was fun, and went really well.
Isaiah 64:8
We are the clay, you are the potter; we are the work of your hands.
We dressed up, and went to a little tea room, called Brambles, downtown. We had a legit "spot of tea" with scones, curdled cream, preserves, and strawberries too. We talked about the beauty of the tea cups, and the intricacy of their patters and painting. I then pulled out a plastic cup that was crumpled, and a 'normal' coffee mug. We talked about the difference between these three containers, and that, although they would all hold the same liquid, they make you feel differently. One is fancy and dainty, the other is disposable and easily crushed. One takes care to keep it beautiful, the other was never made for beauty.
Then we talked about we are God's workmanship. He is the potter and we are the clay. He is creating a masterpiece in us, the same way the potter creates a masterpiece with their tea cup. It may hurt to be molded, but under fire, painted, fired again and so on...but it is for one purpose, to be made special, unique, beautiful. A proud creation of the creator.
We then spent some time talking about ourselves, our lives, and our friends. Do we treat ourselves and other like the disposable plastic cup, or like the beautiful tea cup?
It was a sweet time, and one with a great object lesson. I enjoyed my time with her, and I think she enjoyed her time with me.
We are both looking forward to our next date and praying that we grow close to one another and to the Lord.
1 comment:
As I read this...my eyes are flooded with tears...not only about what you have blogged BUT...about how times goes by us SO FAST....this date/tea time is something I always wanted to do with you...but time has gotten away from us...and soon you were a married women preparing for your own family! This story is SO PRECIOUS.....and has touched my heart ❤️.....I admire you as a daughter...a wife..a mother...and a loving,...caring...Christian women...who shines with the Love for her Lord every day...every minute of your life......and your children RADIATE that same LOVE because of you and Jeremy! Continue to inhale the PRECIOUS MOMENTS....FOR THEY ARE PRECIOUS INDEED....FAR MORE Valuable THEN GOLD OR SILVER! I Love you! Mom
P.S. Nicole is a BEAUTY.....on only on the outside...her HEART is AMAZING for an almost 11 year old!🌹🌹
Post a Comment