We took a site seeing training, almost 30 miles through the mountains until we got to our drop off point for the rafting.
The train ride was a different experience for us. I don't think any of us have ever been on a train.
We were in an open box car, which meant we got to enjoy the beautiful weather and scenery.
| Fontana Lake |
It was lovely.
| This was one of the rapids we went down. No photo from the river, but I have one from the train :) |
Then, the big moment came...our trip, 8 miles down the Nantahala River on class II and class III rapids. The biggest regret I have is not taking my phone or a water proof camera. I wish I had pictures of our kids enjoying this trip.
| More rapids that we got to experience. |
We had a fantastic guide, Chris, who was playful and fun. We enjoyed splashing other rafters (they may not have enjoyed it though, haha) and listening to him tell us about the history of the area and the science behind some of the trees and wildlife. He was fun and spontaneous as well. Once, he did a back flip off the raft, just to splash the raft the behind us. Another time, he jumped onto a log and ran along the bank of the river until he was able to jump back in our boat. The kids enjoyed his antics. As a mom, I felt safe under his guidance, because I could tell he was careful as we went through some of the rapids, yet he still made sure we had a great time. The girls LOVED White Water Rafting, and asked to do it again. Nathan...well, he survived, haha. He was cold and happy to make it down the river. It wasn't his favorite experience, but he also didn't complain. He just sat there quietly until we were done :)
| Chris, chatting with us on our train ride. |
While rafting, he mentioned that he was leading the canopy zip line tour the next day and told Jeremy and I we should come. We hesitated because two of our kids weren't old/big enough to do the big zip lines. However, the company had a Kids Zip that was perfect for them. So, we took the bait and went the next day as well.
| Listening to their safety speech. |
| She looks like a natural |
| This was totally his "thing". The highlight of his trip. |
The kids had an absolute blast! I was so proud of Nathan because he bravely went first, and never stopped after that! They zipped for over two hours
We quickly snuck off with Chris, his girlfriend Tracy, and one other couple to the canopy zip tour. We had 13 platforms and 8 bridges to cross.
It was beautiful and fun! Chris (and his girlfriend) didn't disappoint us either. They shared with us their tidbits about the trees and surrounding areas. We tasted some leaves, and checked out the scenery.
They even took pictures for us of a few of our zips.
I highly recommend Wild Waters for all of your rafting/zip lining needs. They were fantastic. When the kids are older and can experience a more intense river, we will be looking them up again. The Nantahala was perfect for the kiddos and any beginner rafters as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment