![]() |
| Can they save the Guinea Pig from the Dinosaur? |
Thus far, we only give the kids a birthday party on their 1st, 5th, and 10th birthdays. We came upon another 10th birthday, and this birthday girl has been party planning for about 4 years :) However, after doing an escape room last year on vacation, all of her plans changed. So, Nicole and I went to work scheming and planning, and I think it all turned out pretty well.
First, I read a lot of website and blogs about "how to" plan an escape room. Some were helpful and some were note. Blending ideas from websites, our own Escape Room experiences and my knowledge of the children invited, we set out to work.
This is how we designed and executed an "Escape Room" Birthday Party.
1. I had a dedicated notebook for ideas, sketches, lock codes, etc.
2. We had four "rooms" that the kids moved through. I decided what the main goal of each room would be. In other words, what needs to be figured out in order to move on to the next area.
3. We gathered locks, lock boxes, used door knobs, etc.
4. We had a "story", which really just gave us a reason to do it. The kids were trying to "save the guinea pig"
5. Keep it small. Most escape rooms are for 4-6 people. I limited the guest list to 8 people, which gave us 10 total with the birthday girl and her brother (big sister was my helper). This was actually too many. Hannah even said that after the fact. She said it was "overwhelming" and wished there were a few less people. This makes it hard for a birthday party because you are so limited in your guest list.
So...Here was our Escape Room.
Phase 1:
After lunch (we all think better with a fully tummy), we took the kids out on the front porch and locked them out of the house. Their goal was the find the house key so they could unlock the front door and get into the house. The key was attached to a key ring with about 20 other keys in it. However, that key ring was locked in a zipper pencil pouch. It was locked with a typical 3 number code lock. So, the first task was the figure out that code!!! How would they do that? There were three clues available. We had three boxes on the front porch. Each box had a triangle in it with an X at 2 of the points of the triangle. The third point had a number. Each point represented a number in the lock code. So, the kids had the three number, but they needed to figure out the order.
![]() |
| Each kid had their own little notebook for taking notes. |
We made it "easy" on them by putting the numbers in order on the triangles....but they still struggled a bit. They were also thrown off because a few of the boxes had puzzle pieces with numbers on the back. These puzzle pieces had to do with something inside, but they kept trying to make those numbers as part of the code. Finally though, one young man put it all together and figured it out. The other problem is that the kids didn't know how to use the locks. We let them try until they asked for help, and then one of us helped them ;) Anyway, they deciphered the code, which allowed them to open the zipper, get to the keys, and eventually find their way into the house.

Phase 2:
The kids had the living room and dining room to work in, the goal was to break through the "locked" caution tape and get into the school room. I told them that if something had a lock on it, they needed to figure out the code or find the key...even if they could see what was inside. (Blanket Basket). There were puzzle pieces around the room, inside of jars, etc. I had four random puzzle pieces on the dining room table, so that the kids would know that they need to put it together there. I numbered the back of the pieces, because I wanted them to use the back and not the front of the puzzle. I also thought it would help them put it together easier :) We used a locked blanket baked, "hidden books", a blacked out mason jar, a puzzle box, and two locking gun cases (no gun inside, of course ; ). Once everything was opened, the kids had a completed puzzle and a black light in their hands.
![]() |
| It was fun watching them try to get into this secret box |
Phase 3:
Now the kids were in the school room with the main goal to get out onto the back porch. To do this, they must find the key to unlock the back door. This section had an old brief case, with a three digit code, another zipper bag, full of magnetic letters, and a 2-phase cipher.
The briefcase's code was also in black light, however the ink didn't work for some reason, so ended up just giving the kids the clue. So, they were able to break into the briefcase where they found a page protector with some random lines on it and another laminated letter. I loved this part, because they also found the random lines written on our window. They had the good idea to put the laminated sheet up against the window. It wasn't making the right shape/letter/number....but they were trying SO hard to get something out of it ;) Eventually, they thought to shift the page projector a bit, and found the digits 0407. This was the four digit code needed to open the lock on the zipper bag. Inside of this bag was a bunch of magnetic letters. At first they tried making words from these letters, however eventually, they decided to put them in ABC order. They quickly discovered that three letters were missing. (Well, they got to M and W mixed up, but I fixed it for them ;)
These three letters were the code to the door lock, holding the key. They were quickly able to open the lock and reveal the key that would unlock the back door to get to the back patio.
Phase 4:
Once on the back patio, the kids were almost done. They were met with a roaring dinosaur, standing in front of the Guinea Pig cage :) The students had to find a way to kill (disable) the dinosaur. They found a locked toolbox. Before they could open the tool box, they had to find the key to the lock!!! Since I knew they would be getting tired, I hid the key in a fairly obvious place for the kids, so they quickly found it ;)
Once unlocking the toolbox, they found a screw driver. Because they are smart kids ;) They knew that the screwdriver was the take the battery panel off of the dino. However, they were surprised to find one more laminated letter in the battery holder. Now the students had four laminated letters: A, Y, R, M.
YAY!!! The kids did such a great job! I think that they really had fun. One participant even came to me and said, "Usually I have to fake smile at birthday parties, you know....so I won't be rude, even if I'm not having fun. But today...this is a REAL smile!" haha. That may have been the best compliment ;)
![]() |
| Guliana & Nicolas |
![]() |
| Kristina & Vanessa |
![]() |
| Harper & Saylor |
![]() |
| Jordan |
![]() |
| James |
![]() |
| Nicole bought a special "Big Sis" and "Little Sis" matching pendants |
![]() |
| This was part of the party favor. A coded message that Nicole came up with. |
I believe my sweet birthday girl had a super fun 10th Birthday!
We went to a minor league baseball game that night together as a family, along with our friend Jessica & Adam.
I love that Hannah wore her "Birthday girl" sash on her actual birthday :)
She and I also had a special couple of hours together at the water park on her actual birthday. Good times :)














































1 comment:
Great job planning to you and Nicole!! Looks like Hannah had a fun Birthday. PaPa
Post a Comment