A few of you know I've been reading a book called "Becoming God's True Woman" edited by Nancy Leigh DeMoss. The book is a collection of writings by women such as Carolyn Mahaney, Susan Hunt, Mary Kassian, Barbara Hughes, etc. It has been a wonderfully encouraging and convicting book about Biblical Womanhood and femininity. In all honesty, it has shattered some of my long held views of women and our roles in society. I have never been terribly confortable with being called a woman...it seemed to old ladyish to me (although I am pushing 30! haha) And the word Feminine...well...that was a word that was right up there near "panties" for words that made me shiver, hahaha. Whatever...weird...I know. But, honestly, after reading, and continuing to read this book...I am longing to be a femine woman who lives counter to much of what our culture dictates a woman should be. More on that later maybe.
But, right now I wanted to share a portion of a chapter called "How to Raise Femine Daugters" written by Susan Hunt. I don't think I can narrow this portion down much, so it's under the subtopic of "Some Practical Implications of Purpose and Authority" (page 140). btw...friends with sons...I think you will enjoy reading this just as much. You can use this with your boys too...and more than likely...in your own life...at least that was the case for me. Italics are the author's, bold emphasis is mine.
~begin quote~
Our daughters will be products of their tehology. Their knowledge-or lack of knowledge-of who God is and what he has done for them will show up in ever attitude, action, and relationship. Their worldview will be deteremined by their belief system.
We must teach our daughters that their value and identity lie in the fact that they are image bearers of the God of glory. This will protect them from seeking significance in inconsequesntial shallowness of self-fulfillment, personal happiness, materialism, or others' approval.
Our daughters must know the wondrous truth that their overarching purpose in life is God's glory. This must determine every decision they make, from their choice of clothes to their choice of a husband. The question that guides all of our deicions should be: Does this glorify God? First Corinthians 10:31 should be one of the first verses they memorize: "So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." And they should see us making decision based on this mandate.
This world will tempt our daughters to look to their feelings and experiences as their authority, but we must show and tell them that God's Word is the ultimate authority for faith and life.
We must tell our daughters about the expanse of God's love. They must know that we are justified and sanctified by grace. It seems that women are particularly prone to a performance orientation of life. We may acknowledge that we are saved by grace, but somehow we get entangled in "works righteousness" when it comes to our sanctification. We think that if we are a little better, God will love us a little more. This distortion spills over into all other relationships. If I'm a little better, my paretns will love me more...or my friends will love me more...or my husband will love me more. This is exhausting for the one trying to earn everyone's love, and it drains the people whose approval we are trying to earn. Children who think they must establish their own righteousness through accepted behavior eventually become so weary that they give up or become masters of deceit.
A biblical understanding of justification will free our daughters. The more they understand that God declares us to be just in his sight on the basis of the finished work of Jesus Christ and that the righteousness of Jesus is deposited in our spiritual bank accounts, the more they will live in the beauty and freedom of his grace.
All of this means that I must search my own heart. Am I trying to elevate myself through my daughter's accomplisments and behavior? Is my primary concern her happiness or her holiness? Is God's glory really the driving passion of my own life? These questions take me to the cross. They take me to Jesus to plead for grace and wisdom.
It is against this backdrop that we are able to perceive the particular uniqueness of God's creation of woman.
~End Quote~
I have much to say about this...but since you've already read a lot...leave me a comment about what you thought about this little snippet. I will tell you this...once Ephesians 6:1-3 is memorized...Nicole will then be learning 1 Corinthians 10:31:-)
Oh....and here's a link to purchase the book if you'd like.
1 comment:
Michelle, Thank you for your write-up on this book. You've made me want to go out and buy it! Sounds like wonderful reading for a Christian woman and a great gift for a girlfriend.
Also, I'm anxious to try your Chicken Pot Pie recipe! I've never made one from scratch and my husband loves them.
Your dad told me about your blog, which I have bookmarked, and I'd like to congratulate you. You must be very good at time-management to be able to accomplish SO much with two little ones and another one on the way!
Keep up the great work and may the Lord richly bless you and your beautiful family!
Mireya Vance <><
Post a Comment