Friday, July 24, 2009

My Frugal Day Off:-)

The girls got to spend the night at Grammy and Gramp's house AND...they stayed most of today. When Grammy called to see if she could have the girls (I love when they ask because then I don't feel like I'm taking advantage of them...they want to....they of course meaning either set of grandparents). So....where was I? Oh....when I found out she also wanted to keep the girls all morning and put them down for naps, I began planning my frugal shopping extravaganza.

One thing I've been wanting to do, but just simply refuse to do with the girls in tow, is hit a bunch of thrift stores and consignment shops. It's been years (read highschool-never) that I've visited a thrift store except to donate items. So...that was big item on the agenda. I wanted to find maternity clothes and some picture frames (failed at both). BUT....I found something even better (Amanda....you're gonna love this!)


I bought 8 NEVER BEEN USED CLOTH DIAPERS for $.99 each. These are fuzzibunz and cost $17.95 EACH...I got 8 for $8.00!!!!! I'm super duper Psyched!!!!That's a $135 savings!!!!

My other main goal was to hit Staples and CVS and get some cheap/free school supplies. Why do I need school supplies when my kids aren't even close (ok...Nicole's getting close) to school age? Well...because it's fun to buy things for free...and I can donate them to someone who needs it. My goal is to stock 2 backpacks full of great, high quality school supplies, and I am well on my way. This is what I got today...


...paired with what I got earlier this week at CVS.
And there are more great freebie sales to come. Let me explain what I did.

CVS...get $5ecb for any backpack (limit 2)
Purchased each backpack at a different store. Used only ecb (save for $.30 in tax). Ended up with 5 ecb in the end. So...two free backpacks and 5 ecb.

Staples
Staples had some great rebates and in -store rebate items this week.
My total was $57.36
- $10 Office Depot Q
Spent $47.36 oop
Rebates I'm getting back $38.93
So....all of my school supplies have cost me $8.43!!! I'm totally cool with spending that much money to donate 2 backpacks....woohoo!!!!!!

5 comments:

Beth H said...

OH MY GOSH...now where did you get those diapers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just bought 8 bumgenius online for $100. I thought that was good, but 99cents. I now bow down to you as the queen of deals!

Teri said...

THAT IS SOOOOO AWESOME!!!!! I am totally psyched for you. That is tremendous! Great job, Michele!!

Michele said...

hahaha...thanks friends. I was so super excited. The lady at Good will didn't even know what they were. When I asked how much and she answered $.99 each, I know I looked shocked. Then she said, "is that fair" and I mumbled something along the lines of yes as I turned away before she could change her mind! haha

Jennifer said...

Next time you find some of these let me know...I am planning on using these for my foster babies.

Michele said...

Jennifer & Beth, or whoever else is interested. Check out this post on Craigslist. A mom in the cape makes cloth diapers. Prices are reasonable and the diaper looked pretty good.

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/bab/1273521841.html