Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Good, The Bad, and The Yummy

If you know me at all, you know I'll start with the yummy:-)

This morning we had a fun morning of making homemade applesauce and apple pie. Over the next couple of weeks, Nicole and I are reading some fun books about apples and everything you can do with them. We have lots of recipes to try out, including apple butter, apple bread and apple cake. But, today it was applesauce and apple pie. Hannah even tried to get in on the action, although, she really just spent her time eating the apples rather than trying to make anything out of them. That's my girl:-)


I can't seem to get a "normal" looking picture out of Hannah right now. This apple was not sour, it was her "smile" face she makes every time I hold the camera up.

Trying to "smile" and eat at the same time.

This is maybe a little better....it just looks like she's eating a sour apple, doesn't it?

Making Applesauce (the recipe is found here)


I didn't have a potato masher, so we had to use a pastry blender. The apple sauce isn't "saucy" it's a bit chunky, but actually very good.



Making the Apple Pie. Nicole was in charge of filling the pie with the cut up apples and sprinkling cinnamon and sugar on top.



Our finished product. Looks good on the outside. We'll have our taste test later.


Our house smelled so yummy and just like apples and Cinnamon. I just wish we could have had the windows open. It's hard to get in the autumn mood with near record breaking high temperatures....but we tried today. Hopefully this weekend it will cool off a bit (mid 80s) and we can enjoy being outside.

OK, The Good and The Bad....

I am definitely in the lull of the last month of pregnancy. Some days I feel great, others I can't do much more than what is required of me. That's just the way it is. This pregnancy has been both faster and slower than my other two. I pretty much forget I'm pregnant until someone asks me how I feel OR I can't get into a full upright standing position in less than a minute because my sciatic nerve is acting up again. The biggest difference, that honestly has me somewhat freaking out, is all the contractions I've been having. They are not labor contractions for sure, they are "practice" braxton hicks contractions. But, I feel like I have them constantly. Here's the deal though...I CAN NOT have this baby before 37 weeks. If I'm earlier than that, my midwife is legally not allowed to deliver the baby and I have to go to the hospital, which I don't want to do for many many reasons. So...please pray that I do not go into labor until at least the 26th. Really though, I'll probably still be overdue and all this worry will be for nothing, but it's a bit unsettling to be having contractions so much. On the upside, my midwife also says that every contraction you have now is one less I'll have in labor...hmmmm...I think I've already had more than I did with both girls combined, not sure I buy into that one:-) Either way, I'm feeling pretty desperate to have our little boy. I'm already being worn down emotionally at the thought of being overdue. I just want to get to 37 weeks and have the little guy and start out life as a family of 5 (wow...that's crazy!)

I am very thankful though for a few things.

1. Jeremy who is incredibly supportive and wonderful. He has not once complained if I just couldn't get to dinner and get something out or if I'm so tired after the girls go to sleep that I just want to lay on the couch and talk . I love him so much...he's a great husband and I'm incredibly thankful for him. He also puts up with my constant ice crushing, late night snacks and frequent potty breaks.

2. For my mom and mother-in-law who offer to help me a bit on their days off. My mom was gracious enough to just ride around in the car with me all morning yesterday while I ran in and out of different stores and did a ton of errands. I accomplished more yesterday in an hour and half than I would have in 3 days if I would have had to take the girls in and out of the car seat for every stop.

3. This may sound lame...but I'm incredibly thankful for our mattress topper we bought a few months ago. We were thinking of buying a new mattress, but someone suggested we try a memory foam topper that was being sold at Sam's Club. I LOVE this thing...especially while pregnant. For the most part, I sleep incredibly well and comfortably. I didn't realize how much support it gave me until we had to spend a couple of nights in hotels last month while on vacation. I hardly slept at all those nights and seriously couldn't wait to get home to sleep in my own bed. I love to lay down on my bed...it's the best $120 we've spent in our room I'd say.

So, that's our update for the day. We have a busy weekend ahead of us so look for some fun pictures in a few days.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Yay for Braxton Hicks! I don't think I had any of those while pregnant, which was bewildering to everyone and maybe that's the reason why my labor was never ending.

I love making apple pie. It's exhausting though. Way to go making it with two little, little girls while 9 months pregnant. Save all those pictures so you have proof!

Mama Pat said...

YUM!!!!That pie really looks delicious....I like them with lots of cinnamon. You did a really nice job, but I am not suprised.
The girls are adorable,and Hanna just cracked me up with the faces. Take care a and God's Blessing.
Love you all.