While at Jo-Ann Fabric store, I found some really cute fabric to make a blanket with. So, I decided to make our soon to be born little boy his very own blanket from his mommy. It's actually much larger than I imagined, so it's more of a bed blanket than a carry around the house blanket, but that's ok. I even sewed the "taggies" on.


Then, I started looking online for other small project for beginning sewers and found some items I thought would be handy to know how to sew.
I've only made two of these blocks. The orange/brown one is not finished yet, and it was my first...that's why it's a little (ok, a lot) lopsided. The blue/green one is a little better. These square blocks are super easy to make, so I want to keep practicing. They would be cute baby shower gifts if I can get them to look normal. I love that I can pick out fabrics with different textures. It's hard to tell, but the green is bumpy, the crazy blue/green/pink design is silky, and the light blue is flannel. Also, the brown is courderoy. I can also put bells or tissue paper inside to make noise.


People pay a lot of money for "sensory blocks" for babies.
Then I decided to make a boppy slip cover. (A boppy is a nursing pillow by the way) I found a pattern online that I thought I could use. My first attempt looked great, except it wasn't big enough to attach in the back. (I don't have a picture of my first attempt) So, for my second attempt I decided to cut my fabric out an inch or so wider than the pattern. It helped, but it still wasn't enough to close the back very well. I didn't take a picture of the back because it doesn't look good. I put the velcro on in three sections. I'm going to take it off, and just do one long strip of velcro, I think that'll be better.

My third attempt I decided to rip apart my old (and very dirty) boppy slip cover and use IT as my pattern. This worked MUCH better. The third attempt fits better and it closes all the way in the back. It's actually got a little extra room. I just shipped this off to my sister-in-law yesterday (hope you like it Tiff)

So....I'm not a seamstress...I will not be making clothes. But, I'm hoping to learn a bit more how to use a sewing machine. I'm hoping to make more boppy slip covers and give them to friends. I'm hoping to figure out how to make a perfect looking soft cube for baby gifts and I'll keep making little taggie blankets every now and then. I don't have much patience or time, so whatever I do, can't take me more than an hour at a time. If anything, it's a fun little thing for me to do after the kids go to sleep if Jeremy's not home.
Now....I just need my own sewing machine....
6 comments:
You clever girl! Your stuff turned out great! And you know that you're the only one who sees all the little mistakes. Everything you've shown me is sew cute and I'm envious of your gumption to do it in the first place. I'll be getting there soon thanks to your lead! Keep it up, Mama!
Yeah for you girlfriend! I'm very impressed! Your creativity and energy is inspiring...love it! Very soon your sweet baby BOY will be enjoying the benefits of your handiwork...all made with love! That is the most important. By the way, I have an extra sewing machine...I'm almost positive I kept it. It's not new by any means but it works. Call me if you want it. Hoping to see you soon. Funny thing, I thought we might get lucky and the weather would cool down just a bit before the babies. Maybe enough to enjoy an outdoor playdate...nope! Hotter than ever! We're still hiding inside the a/c. Miss seeing you!
Cool! I have been thinking of taking a sewing class here at Southern, and my mom has a sewing machine she is giving me. So keep the ideas coming!
Jennifer...I would totally be interested in the machine. I borrowed one from a neighbor. I had a really really old machine, 1954, in a beautiful mahagony desk that I got rid of a few years ago, because there just wasn't space in our house...especially with all the baby gear.
I hope your feeling well...it sounds like it (minus the heat). I'm seriously freezing my poor family out of the house. This weekend, I had the hotel room set at 69, woke up sweating and poor jeremy was shivering under the covers, haha.
Amanda...you totally should take classes. I'd love to, but they are expensive. I bet you could get great cheap classes at Southern.
Michele!! I'm impressed with your baby items you created. So awesome :) I sent you a little gift in the mail a few months ago did you get it? I hope I got the right address, but maybe I didn't. Anyway, I started my own little business and I made you something from that and sent it for your sweet little BOY! :) Let me know if you didn't get it and I'll try and track it down or I'll send you something else. Check me out at: www.sugarplumcuties.net
Very good Michele! I really like your cubes! So cute! This might sound silly, but you would've never thought how excited someone could be about a boppy cover. I keep looking at it, holding it, laying on it...lol. Too bad I didn't have it when Susannah was a little younger, she would've had many more comfy, cuddly nursings. : ) I thought the actual pattern on my boppy was already cute, but I like the one you made me so much better. Ok, I'm done! :) Thanks again!
Tiff
P.S. Amanda, I started learning how to sew at that sewing class at Southern. In fact, someone donated a sewing machine to the class, and I got it! :) I would recommend it. (Mrs. Gentry can be a little intimidating but she's great!)
Post a Comment