Yesterday, Nicole Classical Conversations group started again. We missed it. Over the past couple of weeks, she had been asking me when she could go to school again. It is a whirlwind of 3 hours. There is so much information, so many games, art, science experiments and other things that are done in such a short period of time. We love it though. I'm excited to go through a whole semester of CC with her.
Yesterday, Nicole did her presentation on her shoe box she made with Operation Christmas Child. We packed a shoe box full of items like crayons, toothbrush, plate, bowl, utensils, ball, toys, dresses, etc. for a little girl Nicole's age. We found out that her box went to Madagascar. So, Nicole took her globe into class and showed the other kids where Madagascar is. I forgot our camera, so I don't have a good video to share. Next though:-)
This week we need to memorize info such as the area of a rectangle, What the four states of matter are, countries in Northern Europe and our history sentence. And, she loves every bit of it!
For science, we did to "experiments". The first, we tied a string around a spoon, then wound the spoon around our fingers (like dental floss). Then we stuck our fingers in our ears and let the spoon hit against a table. It sounded like a loud church bell...it was pretty neat. Then, her teacher, Mr. Jackson, showed the kids how to make sound on a glass with water in it. Nicole didn't like that one, it was to high pitched and hurt her ears, hahaha.
A few weeks ago, I found a great math workbook at a garage sale. Nicole and I have been working through a few pages a day. We are almost ready to start basic addition and subtraction (which we have talk about when we can...especially while eating M&Ms.) Reading still has not "clicked" with her. She can sound out words, but the idea that letters blend together to make a sound and looking at a word and remembering it is still not there for her. We have been using Hooked on Phonics, and we are almost through the kindergarten level. I think when we finish it, I'll need to find another phonics based program to do with her. Any suggestions?
Her handwriting is getting better. We have been working on that a lot too. I'm really proud of her. She likes to do to school work, so I need to take advantage of that while I can:-)
3 comments:
That sounds exciting! Both what you did and the CC class. Where are H and N during these times?
Missed you last night!
Awe, Thanks Jen...I missed being there (and I'm excited you are on the steering team now!). Valerie watches H & N for me so I can focus on being with Nicole the whole time. Maybe next year Hannah will join me...maybe:-)
That sounds so cool!
Sorry, no phonics suggestions. Just keep reading is my only advice. You know what you're doing, and she will get it.
Post a Comment