Another 4th of July has come and gone. This one though was exciting and busy for our family.
Earlier in the week, the kids and I prepared by going over some of our previous memory work about the founding of America. We talked about the Revolutionary War, the signing of the Declaration of Independence, and I even read it to them. Hopefully one day soon, they will be able to fully understand and wrestle with it.
The morning started with the family marching in the Lutz 100th Anniversary parade with American Heritage Girls. We were not able to help make the float the weekend before, but didn't they do a great job? Nicole and Hannah rode on the float and had fun throwing candy and squirting the crowd with water guns. Nate walked alongside Jeremy and I. He too enjoyed throwing candy at the crowd (and when he ran out, he would run around and collect candy on the street, and then throw THAT candy at the crowd ;) He was also given a box of snap pops from the float behind us. Nathan delighted in the screams and jumps that came from mommy as he threw the little exploding toy at my feet.
 |
| The AHG float |
 |
| Watch Out! |
 |
| Uh-Oh! Hannah's got a water gun! |
 |
| This is the AHG oath |
To be honest, the parade ran much more smoothly than I expected. Nate walked the whole the time, and no crying happened until we were walking back to our car and Nate fell while running to catch up with us;)
After a short afternoon nap, it was time to prepare for the party.
When we moved here, we knew no one. Our move was made much easier though by the wonderful neighborhood we ended up in. These people started off as just neighbors down the street....but have become sweet friends. I loved the fact that we all gathered together for a fun evening of food and fireworks. Each family brought their own meat to grill, and a side dish to share, as well as some fireworks to light. We were also joined by two sweet families from the church. It was perfect!
The kids put together a 4th of July bicycle parade. Jeremy led them in the jeep, while the group of children rode down the street with their decorated bicycles. To their delight, there were people outside who were cheering them on and clapping for them. I think it was the highlight of the kids' night!
 |
| Preparing for the Parade |
 |
| Turning the corner to cheers and applause from another house. |
 |
| Hannah was waving and saying "Happy Independence Day!" |
 |
| The little parade. Maybe we can make this a tradition! |
Of course, there were also sparklers....lots of sparklers, snap pops, snakes and fireworks! Not so surprisingly, Jeremy was pretty much in charge of the fireworks (although a lot of kids got to help set them off as well).
.JPG) |
| One of my little firecrackers |
.JPG) |
| Jeremy is lighting a smoke bomb for Nate |
 |
| I'm pretty sure Hannah is holding a Roman Candle. For the record, I think this is a bad idea, hahaha. |
 |
| Everyone lining up for a light. |
.JPG) |
| My other little firecracker! |
It was a great night, a great celebration, with great friends. I'm so thankful the Lord brought us here!
No comments:
Post a Comment