Last month we took an impromptu trip to Ohio after my sweet Mama Pat passed away. Within a day, we were on our way, driving 18 hours with my dad.
| Papa, spending time with his grandkids |
It was fun to take a road trip with him again. He's a good driver, with interesting conversations, always looking for (and finding) animals, and he is the best at driving the backroads of Ohio ;)
After a quick rest stop in Kentucky where Nicole finally captured a wild bird, we were on our way to visit Grandma, or Mimi as the kids call her.
| Re-enacting a photo they saw in Mimi's room with dad and his sisters :) |
| Dad and his mamma |
The kids have never been to grandma's house, so I asked her to show us her room and sitting area. We enjoyed looking at pictures and talking about family. Grandma even gave me her brown bear. Growing up, I would spend the night at Grandma's house almost every Friday night and we would play games, watch movies, and snuggle with our bears at night. This is a sweet gift to me.
The kids enjoyed rolling around in the soft Ohio grass.
| The grass...oh the grass!!!! |
They got to meet Aunt Paula and eat some yummy snacks from Uncle Terry.
| Aunt Paula with the kids |
| Thank you Uncle Terry |
After our visit with Grandma, we took off for my Uncle Garry's farm. My heart was seriously filled up watching my children interact with my Aunt and Uncle and fall in love with his farm. They enjoyed every moment there, from running down the big hill, to feeding goats, riding on tractors and four wheelers, climbing trees and playing with cousins...it was perfect!
| First ride up the hill with Aunt Debbie |
We started with goat feeding, and the kids kept trying to pick those goats up (because their friend's goats like to be held).
| Here little goat, little goat |
| Feeding Peanuts with Uncle Garry |
| There they go!!!!! |
This quickly escalated into rides on the Four wheeler and tractor. Aunt Debbie took the girls on the 4 wheeler while Uncle Garry took Nate out to plow a field.
| This will be a long time favorite picture of mine. |
| Checking to make sure their equipment is up before moving out. |
If we didn't have other things to do, I'm pretty sure Nathan would have sat in that tractor all day long!
The four wheeling continued with Yaya, Papa, the kids and I.
| Taking my boy for a ride on the four wheeler |
I took Hannah for ride, but I told her that I wasn't as fun as other people. She said, "Mommy, you are going so fast! You are more fun than anyone else, and you're the prettiest mommy ever." Well, shucks!
| I love this picture of my parents :) |
| Uncle Garry and the kids. They loved spending time with him. I hope they remember this. |
| She's a natural |
| Hmmm...their first meeting. Not sure what to think of one another ;) |
| Yes! Yes! THIS is what childhood is. Walking in the woods with your cousins. My heart was full. |
From that moment, an instant friendship was formed, and these kids were inseparable.
Where in the world is Nicole? Can you find her?
| Where's Nicole? Can you find her? |
They played games together, rolled down hills with one another, cooked marshmallows and just flat out had a great time!
I love this series of pictures. Check out Lane...he couldn't stay in his chair. He kept falling over! hahaha
| Colt is taking Hannah and mom for a ride. |
That night, Hannah kept asking when "the boys" would be coming back. I found out the next day that they were wondering when they could play with the girls again ;)
Beautiful sunset at the farm
Before going to my grandmother's visitation service I took the kids to Mt. Pleasent in Lancaster for a little hike. Although it started with much complaining, the quickly became excited at what they were seeing and experiencing.
They climbed rocks...
Looked for detours....
Stood over the little city....
and yes, climbed more trees.
They had fun playing with dandelions and blowing the fuzz off (and sometimes into their mouths)
That evening, we spent some time with my Aunt Susan in Gahana and went on a nice little walkway by a creek. We fed ducks and swans and just enjoyed another beautiful Ohio evening.
It was bittersweet being in Ohio. We were all having so much fun reconnecting, and I kept thinking we would go back to Mama Pat's and Papa Sam's for a big dinner when it was all said and done. But that didn't happen. It won't happen again. My sweet grandparents were now with the Lord, and that will come in a later post.
| One more meeting with the cousins :) |
2 comments:
Yes Michele ......bittersweet is the best term to use for this trip! I am so Thankful that your dad was able to come up to Tampa and drive to Ohio with you and the kids.....everything worked out so PERFECT!!!! I LOVE ALL the FUN the kids had with there newly meant cousin......once they checked each other out which was just about 5 minutes.....it was as though they have spent every weekend together.........it was great JOY to wach theses cousin having a Blast with each other.....and are still asking when they will see each other again. I know Garry and Debbie LOVED and truly enjoyed having you and your family at there home. I also thank Garry and Debbie for there Loving kindness......that they shared there home with us and made everything fun and comfortable.
The part about going back to my mom and dad's kinda really got to me only because it will never happen again....but, I am glad that you pondered thoughts memories in your heart.....as ALWAS being a LOVING, WELCOMING home that was full of food and fun in my parents home. I will miss this also....and have many time when I went back to Ohio to see my mom and dad.
Life is about changes, living and dying......and making the most out of each day that we are GIFTED with.
THank you for the gift of this blog. I LOVED ALL the pictures.....all of them.
I Love you so much.......mom
Awe mom...I know it was super hard, and will continue to be super hard on you. I LOVED Mama Pat and Papa Sam. I always have warm memories and smiles when I think of them. When she passed, I think I cried the most when I thought about the fact that my kiddos won't know her that way. However, you have always done a beautiful job of keep Grandma Blanche "alive" in my memories...I know it will be the same for Mama Pat.
Post a Comment