Thursday, June 26, 2014

Serving Others


We really hoped to be in the habit of finding consistent ways to serve others this year.  I confess, we have not done as well at this task as I had hoped.  However, new breathe has been breathed into this goal.

Last week, we were working on the girls' badge of citizenship and government for AHG.  One of the tasks was to find an organization in our community that serves people, learn about them, and then volunteer with them.  We drive by "The Big Red Bard" quite often.  We usually donate our used items there for the thrift store, and pick up cheap books when we can.  However, we didn't know what the main focus of the organization was...so we stopped by to find out.

Ms. Tina, the manager was so sweet and took special time to talk with the girls and share the vision of Christian Social Services.  They are here to help people and families in the community.  The thrift store earns income to help pay for the different services offered, including the food pantry, backpacks for school, dental services, etc.

The exciting part is that they allow children to help!  Most organizations do not, so it's been hard to find a place to serve.

Nicole instantly wanted to help.  For the next several days, she asked me when I was going to call Ms. Tina, and what day we were going to go in and help.

Jeremy read Mathew 25: 31-40  to Nicole that night.31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne.32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

So, today was our day.  We went in and worked for an hour in the food pantry.  We emptied 8 boxes full of canned good, and two large bags filled with dry goods.  

All three worked, with happy smiles on their faces.  They all had fun and enjoyed serving. 

Nate tried to go grocery shopping and pick up some extra crackers.  

This was such a fun experience for us.  We can't wait to go back and help again (and hopefully more regularly)



No comments: