These are my own thoughts and ramblings. If you want to read something about the girls only...scroll down. I posted something earlier today.
Charles Spurgeon is a preacher who lived in the 1800s in England. Jeremy and I enjoy reading his sermons (however you almost have to read them outloud because it's a sort of Old English, Thee, Thou...). Anyway, I have a book he wrote called Spiritual Parenting. It is the Best parenting book I've ever read, and it doesn't even tell you how to discipline your kids! hahaha. I may never read another parenting book, because this one encourages me so much! In it reveals my deepest desires as a mom. I just got through reading a chapter entitled "Childhood and Holy Scriptures" I want to teach Nicole and Hannah The Word of God. I want to help them learn to hide His word in their heart through memorization and knowledge of the scriptures. Sometimes I get discouraged and wonder if they are to young. But, I believe they are not to young. I think the first few years of a child's life set the very foundation they will need to stand on the rest of their life. Nicole may not have scripture memorized yet, but I can repeat them and talk about them with her. Hannah may not even recognize her name yet, but through me constantly saying it, she will soon be able to...so why not the scriptures either?
I also believe that by discipling them early and teaching them to obey and to hear my voice (and Jeremy's too) that they will learn to obey and hear the voice of God as they grow older. I know that some people think that we are hard on Nicole, but we truly believe that a few years of setting standards and being consistent with our discipline will be what we need when more difficult times arise (aka...the teen years!!!!). Anyway...I was reading this chapter and was almost in tears from it because it just spoke to my heart in so many ways. I can't type the whole chapter because that would be to long (as this post probably already is). But...maybe I can share some key points/information.
"Babes receive impressions long before we are aware of the fact. During the first months of a child's life, he learns more than we imagine. He soon learns the love of his mother and his own dependence. If the mother is wise, he learns the meaning of obedienc and the necessity of yielding his will to a higher will. This may be the keynote of his whole future life. If the babe learns obedience and submission early, it may save a thousand tears from the child's eyes, and as many from the mother's heart. A special advantage is lost when even babyhood is left uncultrued." (emphasis mine)
"The Holy Scriptures may be learned by children as soon as they are capable of understanding anything. A remarkable fact, which I have heard asserted by many teachers, is that children learn to read from the Bible better than from any other book."
This is the BEST part.
"O dear mothers, please understand that you have a very sacred trust reposed in you by God! He has in effect said unto you, "Take this child away, and nurse it for me, and I will give thee thy wages" (Exodus2:9). You are called to equip the future man of God, that he may be "thoroughly furnished unto all good works" (2 Timothy 3:17. If God spares you, you may live to hear that pretty boy speak to thouands, and you will have the sweet reflection in your heart that the quiet teachings of the nursery led the adult man to love his God and serve Him.
Those who think that a woman detained at home by her little family is doing nothing think the reverse of what is true. Scarecely can the godly mother quit her home for a place of worship. However, dream not that she is lost to the work of the church. Far form it, she is doing the bes tpossible service for her Lord.
Mothers, the godly training of your offspring is your first and most pressing duty. Christian women, by teaching children the holy Scriptures, are as much fulfilling their part for the Lord as Moses did in juding Israel, or Solomon in building the temple. "(Emphasis His)
3 comments:
How awesome!! If we could all learn to yield our will to God's will and learn to obey early on in our life, we could be a blessing to others by the obedience demonstrated in our own life, and consequently and Most importantly bring glory to God. I was reminded of Jochabed (Moses mom), she loved her little baby so much that to protect him from Pharoah (who commanded all firstborn male jewish babies be killed) put him in that little basket in the Nile River and trusted her litle baby to the Lord. Then our GREAT God in His providence had her escorted into the palace to be his nursemaid!! Only God!! She gave her baby up and God returned him to her unharmed and she was "asked to nurse him!!!) I Love that testimony of the providence of our Lord if we will only trust Him!! As u trust Nicole and Hannah to the Lord and u are obedient as a mom, there's no telling what He will do with their lives.!!!! That excites me!!
Grammy
Michele, I was so blessed by your writings. Many years ago, I along with another lady was teaching 2-3 year olds. We did a lot of visual things that they could relate to, Like making paper dolls, putting flannel on the backs and put up a flannel piece of material, we would tell them the story and send items home with them, and their parents would tell us they played with them all week. We even did the skit where Jesus said "Pick up your mat and walk'" and they would play that all week. There are so many Bible stories that you and the girls can act out, and believe me, even though Hanna is still to young, it is going into her little brain. You better believe she is learning quite a bit from you Jeremy and her big sister. I think it is wonderful. Keep up the good work. I just loved what Granny wrote, and I can even see that acted out. This will teach them to use their imaginations. What a gift you are giving them. I am so happy to have this blog that we can keep up with what your doing. It is very exciting.
Love you all...
Mama Pat
This is so awesome!! Michele, I am so touched by what you and Jeremy are teaching these girls. You are right, start young, it is going into Hannah's little mind also. God is so proud of you two teaching your girls at such a young age about his word. I love hearing about Nicole telling you all "let's pray" that is so awesome. Keep up the good work.
Love you all,
Aunt Julie
Post a Comment