First, I purchased 1 yard of a double sided, pre quilted fabric. Then, I simply followed the measuring instructions (note, the pattern states the inside flap needed to be 8 inches wide, mine actually needed to by 10 inches. I made a mistake in cutting, and almost had to buy more fabric...but I made it work)
The hardest thing for me was trying to finish the raw edges using a zig zag stitch. My new friend Susan was trying to talk me through it via email, but I simply didn't get it. Hopefully I'll get a lesson or two from her soon, and it'll make more sense.
This is the carrier when it's fully open. You place the dish in the center, fold up the "side flaps", in this picture it's actually the long flaps int he front and back of the photo. And then hold onto the handles to carry your casserole dish around.
My other modification was creating a pocket under the dish for a hot pad to go in. This will help keep the dish hotter for longer. I'm honestly not sure how this will work. I don't think the the fabric has enough fill in it to keep a dish warm for to long...but I could be wrong.
You can see the hot pad I inserted here.
The other great thing is that this thing folds up practially flat. You can jam it into the corner of your cabinet if need be, or maybe even lay it inside your dish to wait for it's next use.







5 comments:
That is sooooo cute! You have to make those for newlyweds. I always have to take casseroles to things in ugly pans with ugly towels. lol. So embarrassing! Anyway, I love how you reversed the pocket. Very Vera Bradley looking. Thanks for the idea, too. I shall try it someday. Maybe!
Wow when did you have time to make that! Great job! Very impressed, you are becoming so crafty I love it! I think that next week I will have to stop by to say hello and borrow the gate!
I Love this, what a great job you did, I can't wait to get mine. Do I have to wait till Sept.?? You sure are cleaver with the handy pockets. Love the material. Great Job!! Lucky Valerie!! Love you!! xoxoxox
I'm hoping to get one more made within the next month for my soon to be sister-in-law, Erica. I showed her what it was last night and she seemed like she would like it. I wanted to show it to her, so when she opened it after her wedding she knew what it was.
Jen...I made it one evening while Jeremy was studying. I am trying to set aside a little time to do something I enjoy or time to learn something new. I never really did that when the girls were babies...I felt consumed by them ALL the time. But, this time I'm trying to relax and learn something new so I don't get so lost in "baby-mommy land" It seems to be working a bit:-) That, and I'm trying to exercise too...which is something I didn't do when the girls were young either. I think I've finally learned that I need to have something to look forward to doing and make time for it. So, once the kids go to sleep, I clean up dinner and the kitchen, and then I call it quites for the night and start over the next morning. I need that evening time to spend with Jeremy or do something I enjoy for an hour or so. I also like to sew when he's gone...like at Bible study or something. So...I'm trying to make time:)
And...I'm assuming Anonymous is my mom. Hmmm....you might have to wait until your birthday, then what else would I get you? I already have a plan for mother's day. Maybe I can swap them though:-)
Yes, I am the PROUD owner of this crafty little project!! I'm so proud of Michele, and who doesn't enjoy getting a gift "made wth Love".... I have lots of opportunities now a days to use it!! Thank you Michele for my awesome gift!! I really do Love it :)
Valerie
PS I'll keep u posted on the practicality of it!!
Post a Comment