1. Moby Wrap - I have no idea how I survived without this thing. OK, I know it's possible, but seriously...this is the BEST way to carry your baby. I've used a Baby Bjorn and a jeep front carrier. Both worked fine, but the Moby Wrap is FAR better than these. It is incredibly comfortable, equally distributes the weight of the baby so there is very little pressure on your shoulders or back. You can carry your baby in several different way; cradle the baby, carry then facing you, facing "the world", on your hip, on your back, while nursing...you can even carry twins! This thing Rocks!. It's a bit awkward to put on at first. I suggest watching this video on You Tube. This is VERY high on my list of much needed baby items. At this point, I wouldn't dare venture out of the house without my wrap. It allows me to grocery shop AND sit through church. It's awesome!
2. A Good Pack N Play - I really didn't think we needed one of these, but we bought one anyway because we were going on a road trip when Nicole was 6 weeks old. Our pack n play has gotten an incredible amount of use. We've traveled with it, we go to friend's houses at night and put the baby down in it, and right now, it's Nathan's bed. We have a Graco. I really like the quality. It's got a firm pad and a changing table and mobile.
3. A Boppy Nursing pillow - Women have mixed reviews about these things...but I've always liked using a boppy when nursing. It is most helpful the first few weeks when the baby is really flimsy, for lack of better words. It takes pressure off your shoulders since you don't really have to hold the baby while you are nursing. It's also great to use as little prop when you have to put baby down. With Nicole...Jeremy wouldn't be caught dead with the boppy around his waist. But, now he likes to hold the baby using it, because he always seems comfortable and is less likely to cry (the baby I mean, not Jeremy!), which makes holding him more fun. You also have two hands to play with baby...instead of just one if you had to hold him.
4. A contoured changing pad - I don't know why, but my babies LOVE being on the changing pad. We always joke that we should have used this as their bed, because they always stop crying when we put them down to change them. This time we have a really soft cover, which is nice. We have ours velcroed to the counter top in the bathroom (velcroing your changing pad to the changing table was an idea someone gave us when we were new parents. We thought it was good advice, because it always seems to slip...now it never does)
5. Space Saver High Chair - We got one of these with Hannah, and it was so much better than having a giant high chair taking up a bunch of space in our house. She still sits in it, but now it's pulled up to our table. The high chair sets in your regular dining room table chair, can tilt back for a young baby, and can be used up through pre-school aged.
6. A good gliding/rocking chair...you don't need the stool - I LOVE my glider. We bought it from Target.com 4 years ago. It's still in great condition. The back is high enough to rest your head when you are sleepy...this is pretty important. I still use this chair daily.
7. Cloth Diapers...more specifically...Bum Genius diapers - These babies save money, are super cute, and super soft for the kiddos. I love my cloth diapers. You've heard me rave about these enough in the past. Buy them here or here.
8. Burp cloths - My friend, Kirsten, made these adorable burp cloths for me. I like them better than any I've found in the store. She also makes adorable bows for little girls and other fun items. Check her site out here. She's a stay at home mom...when you can, buy something from a stay at home mom...even if the price is a tad more. You'll be helping that mom stay home to raise their kids, AND you'll be buying a unique and often times personalized gift that the mom will love.
9. Baby Bjorn bouncy seat - This is another "wish I hd known the first time around" items. From what I understand, these are more expensive than other bouncey seats and they are no longer available in the US :-( boo!! But, maybe you can get your hands on one. Mt friend Teri is letting us borrow hers. It's a comfy little chair that it can be used from infant stage through toddlerhoood.10. A mesh feeder - these are fun (and messy, but who cares, they are kids!) to use when the baby is learning to eat. You put soft foods inside and the baby can suck them out. It keeps them busy for a while and allows you to eat for a change:). Good things to fill them with are bananas (but very hard to clean), cantalope...hmmm...I've forgotten what all I put in there. I'll tell you in a few months I suppose. I just don't like to use baby food. As soon as I can get the baby eating real food, the better. My kids were both off baby food pretty young because when I made it, it was still a bit chunky and, as soon as I could start giving them whole peas rather than pureed peas, I did. So, this mesh feeder fit right into our lifestyle.
There are lots of other items that are helpful too. Add yours to the comments if you wish. Maybe in the future I'll do a "What you don't need" post...cuz, there's lots of stuff "they" make you feel you need...and you don't. Until next time....





5 comments:
When I get my baby in 76 days I will come over and you will need to show me how to use the Moby wrap, I have one, but think the 10 month old is a little too big for it!
Jen
She is totally NOT to big for it. You can place her on your hip or on your back. Obviously I haven't done that yet...but I know you can. I had to carry nicole on my hip for a couple of weeks when she was 11 months old because she broke her arm and she wasn't suppose to crawl on it (ha, tell that to a baby!). Anyway, I wish I had this....I'm confident it would have been much more comfy.
AND WOWOWOWOWOW...76 days! I'm so excited for you Jen! Yippee!!!!
(I'm going to put this on your blog in case you don't check back here)
I can carry Maryn in ours quite well still and she's one and a half!
Awe I didn't know you knew Kirsten! I love her and sweet Riley she did a great job on those burp rags and she made these cute lady bug bows for my little bug so cute! I totally agree with your list by the way very helpful for your friends with little babies
Small world, huh Haley? Our husbands play church league softball together. I don't know Kirsten as well as I'd like. Maybe the three of us can all get together sometime:-)
Post a Comment