Sunday, January 31, 2010

Honey, It's not free....you MADE a dollar!

Before we get to the title...I have a few other things to share.

First...we are still sick, but not miserably sick like we were a few days ago.  We have wicked sore throats, runny noses and occasional coughs.  But, life goes on rather easily with those things.  I think God allowed me to be so sick on Friday morning so I wouldn't complain about how I feel right now.  I think Friday was the sickest I've been since I've had children...so no complaints here on how I feel.  I got a full night's sleep last night, so I'm ready for the day.  The kids and Jeremy are sleeping well...so we are on the mend, thank you!

Birthday pictures
Last Wednesday my parents brought over my birthday dinner....pizza from Gatsby's.  It's an Ohio State pizza joint...big Buckeye fans and pizza that rivals some of my family's favorites around Columbus.  We had a nice evening and got some cute pictures I wanted to share.

Finally....our first "family photo".  


Papa enjoyed spending time with Nate


Nicole found this clown wig (or "funny hat" as she calls it) at my mom's earlier that day.

Now...for how Jeremy mad a dollar.

A couple of weeks ago, the fan in my kitchen broke.  I pulled on the little fan speed chain, and it came right out in my hands.  Generally, we've always been the type to just go buy a new fan.  I don't know why...I think it's because in the past we've found that buying new is almost less expensive than fixing.  Anyway, Jeremy spent a lot of time trying to fix the chain on his own, but to no avail.  So, he called Home Depot (where the fan was purchased almost 7 years ago) and explained the problem.  We didn't have the receipt (it was a gift) but we did have the manual which narrowed the model number down to two. 

Anyway....Home Depot said they would call him back.  Which they did, rather promptly.  When they got him on the phone they said they found the part, it would be $9, would we like for them to order it for us?  We would.  So, the Home Depot person said, please stay on the line, we'll call our manufacturer for you and order the part.  So, the lady called the fan place, ordered the part, all while Jeremy was on the line with them.  Then, when she was finished, she asked if we needed anything else.  Jeremy said no.  THEN...the Home Depot lady said, "Thank you for contacting us.  We will send you a $10 Home Depot gift card in the mail for your troubles".  Jeremy quickly replied that she didn't need to do that.  The fan was over 5 years old, we were just happy to be able to get the part.  Well...she finished the transaction with him, and then she said again, "I would like to send you a $10 gift card, would that be alright with you?"  OK  said Jeremy.

So...he was excited to tell me about his deal in getting a Free part.  But, I quickly said...Jeremy, you didn't get it for free...you Made a dollar!"  That's how us crazies in the coupon world think.  The part cost $9, Jeremy got $10 back to Home Depot.  That's a one dollar profit, right?

Moral of the story...always try to fix your fans, and always buy from Home Depot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was there tax????

Love ya,
Aunt Julie

Anonymous said...

That's really cute. How appropriate for you and your coupon club friends! I'm surprised there aren't more comments on here.. :)Jeremy must really be learning from you.

Tiffy