I simply love this book. A couple of summers ago, I decided to read all of the Narnia books. It was my first time...and I so enjoyed it. Lewis wrote these as stories to his grandchildren to help them learn about and understand some of aspect of God. There are certainly moments in the books that remind me of who God is. Let me share a couple here.
This book is story about Shasta, a runaway boy and a talking horse, Bree who was kidnapped from Narnia when he was a colt and was trained to be a military horse. They both escape from their masters for the long journey to Narnia. One night while traveling, they find that they are being chased by a lion (both are terrified). At the same time, they discover they are riding beside another horse and rider...both running from the lion. After crossing a river the two horses and riders discover they are all runaways...all four heading for Narnia. Reluctantly, they decide to travel together. (now...I'm skipping a lot here). After crossing the desert, trying to beat the Calormen army to Archenland (read the book to understand), they are nearing a garden with large treed walls that is occupied by a hermit. Just before making it to the garden however, the lion shows up again. He races and jumps on the back of Aravis and Hwin ( the "other" travelers) and gives Aravis some deep wounds on her back. With the lion hot on their tails, it gives the weary travelers the extra "push" they needed to get to the hermit, and safety, quickly.
Once there, the hermit tells Shasta (who had jumped off his horse to help Aravis) to continue running on foot to reach the King of Archenland to tell him about the army on their way for a surprise attack. Shasta runs, and runs, and runs. Although he was weary before, he finds the strength to continue. He reaches King Lune and his hunting party. After sharing the details about the surprise attack that will soon take place on his kingdom, the king offers Shasta a horse and speeds away to his castle with his army. Shasta quickly falls behind, makes a 'wrong' turn and travels all night long through the fog up a mountain path. Again, he discovers he is not alone. After swallowing his fear, he begins to talk to the person (or thing) walking with him. He finds that he talking to the great Aslan...the High King of Narnia....a lion. This is the part I love (and will quote now in another color).
After sharing the story of his travels (along with the lions along the way)
Shasta says, "Don't you think it was bad luck to meet so many lions?"
"There was only one lion," said the Voice.
"What on earth do you mean? I've just told you there were at least two the first night, and-"
"There was only one: but he was swift of foot."
"How do you know?"
"I was the lion." And as Shasta gaped with open mouth and said nothing, the Voice continued. "I was the lion who forced you to join with Aravis. I was the cat who comforted you among the houses of the dead. I was the lion who drove the jackals from you while you slept. I was the lion who gave the Horses the new strength of fear for the last mile so that you should reach King Lune in time. And I was the lion you do not remember who pushed the boat in which you lay, a child near death, so that it came to shore where a man sat, wakeful at midnight, to receive you."
"Then it was you who wounded Aravis?"
"It was I."
"But what for?"
"Child," said the Voice, "I am telling you your story, not hers. I tell no one any story but his own."
"Who are you?" asked Shasta.
"Myself," said the Voice, very deep and low so that the earth shook: and again "Myself", loud and clear and gay: and then the third time "Myself," whispered so softly you could hardly hear it, and yet it seemed to come from all round you as if the leaves rustled with it.
Shasta was no longer afraid that the Voice belonged to something that would eat him, nor that it was the voice of a ghost. But a new and different sort of trembling came over him. Yet he felt glad too.
I love that part of the book. It ties all of the other parts together. It remind me that God is always in control. Although we may think we are in control and making our decisions, He is there the whole time...not surprised...and even working in our situations and our life for his perfect plan to come to pass.
The cool thing is...Nicole understood that this Lion was safe and good, but that he was also the same lions she trembled at earlier in the book. Both Nicole and Hannah enjoyed listening to the stories (Hannah would usually fall asleep). Nicole would ask questions throughout the day about the story and we would all anticpate reading more at nap time.
There were a few things I changed while reading the book. The Caloremen (who hated Narnia and worshiped a false god) would talk about other gods and even pray to them. These were generally short areas (a sentence or less) that I would skip over. Now...we do talk about idols and false gods with the girls...but I thought this may be more confusing as a fictional book. So...I skipped over a few of those references. I also said donkey instead of "asses"...that was just language of England and I didn't want to introduce that word to the girls. There were a few other words I may have skipped or used differently while reading, but it was just because they were words I didn't want to explain yet or tackle for the girls (gouls for instance).
I chose to read this Narnia book because it deals very little with the White Witch who put a curse on Narnia for a long time (again...I just don't want to introduce that yet) I was surprised how much the girls enjoyed listening to this book. I may consider reading The Voyage of Dawn Treader next (my second favorite Narnia book :)
We have now started reading a biography about Helen Keller, a woman I introduced a few weeks ago while learning about our senses. The girls both look forward to reading time before naps (and to be honest, so do I). I try to alternate between a fictional book and biography of sorts. So...Helen Keller it is for the next month or so.
I have plans to read Where the Red Fern Grows later this year as well. Anyone have any suggestions?
No comments:
Post a Comment