Our school days probably don't look like most children's school days. In fact, we probably don't look like any other family. I'm not sure yet if that is a good or bad thing ;) No, I think it's a good thing. We roll the way We need, and the way we feel we are called to roll. Some days, that means we work really hard and really long. Other days, it means we switch things around and let the children lead.
Earlier this week, Hannah was desperate to teach an art class with me and the other two. She set the table up with an assortment of paint and art supplies
She wanted to walk us through an assignment. It felt painfully long at times...but she loved it. She told us exactly how to paint our pictures, but also gave us the freedom to make it individual. She loves to teach. She's also been quite interested in Monet lately.
| Nathan! Seriously, I wouldn't have believed it, except that I saw him do it. I love this painting...it is one of my favorites. |
Nicole knows all of the info for history, but gets the dates mixed up. So, we drew a timeline together. We picked the sentences she struggles with and designed little cards to help her remember the dates and events. She wanted to string it up on the wall.
The Missouri Compromise was in 1820 (see the little drawing of Missouri). 1853, Preseident Polk fought the Mexican War. 1861- the Civil War Began. I LOVE what she did for the 14th Amendment (far right in the picture below). The 14th Amendment freed all former slaves. So, she has hands in shackles, then the shackles broken, and finally two people walking down a road- free and holding hands. It's beautiful!
I really think this little drawings and notes will help her. We spent a couple hours working on it.
I have 4 more weeks of being Hannah's tutor....this was her presentation this week. She taught everyone how to make a water bottle out of a recycled bottle. Yeah...I don't know. But, it was special to her ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment