Yesterday I got to watch our friend's kids, Peyton(3) and Caulder (1 1/2). They are sweet boys, but wow...what a difference 2 more children make, no...make that 2 more boys. I had some activities planned, which was good. We read a book called "If you Give a Mouse a Cookie". Then we talked about circles and the kids got a sticker every time they found a circle. Unlike Nicole, the boys weren't really into that idea, so it got scrapped. Then we glued together a paper mouse, which actually went really well. However, by 9:30, I had used up all of my tricks and I had till 4:00. hahaha. After Hannah woke up, we walked to a little park in our neighborhood. This was good because it took up a good hour of the morning. Then, we came back and Peyton and I washed my car while the other kids watched, we had lunch and nap time even went ok (I snuck one in too...I'll tell you why in a minute). Looking back on it, it wasn't a bad day at all. In the moment, I felt a bit scattered. Here are some observations and thoughts from the day.
1. Boys are different than girls (and I don't' just mean on the potty...although I was scared Peyton was going to pee all over the bathroom, he didn't). Boy are louder, faster, and more intense. Peyton didn't stop talking all day, and he talks loud. He plays loud, he is loud. Nicole is loud sometimes...but not all the time.
2. I got a glimpse of what's to come. In one word....TATTLING!!!! Uh, this was the most draining part for me. But, now I know what to pray about and read about over the next few months as I'm sure Nicole will pick this habit up. Any advice on dealing with tattling would be much appreciated.
3. Bathroom and diapers are the most time consuming part of the day.
4. It's really hard to meet all the needs of each of the kids all at the same time.
I love Peyton and Caulder. They are the closest thing to sons that Jeremy and I have. We have been a part of their lives since day one, and hope to be for a long long time. They are wonderful little boys. However, I've never spent this much time with them as the caregiver before. And it's definitely harder than just being fun "Aunt Michele" when we get to play when we're just hanging out. I think I get to watch them every Monday as Brooke (their mom) finishes school this year. I am looking forward to it. But, I definitely need to be prepared and have a plan. And, hopefully Hannah won't be teething every Monday either, which brings me to my next point.
Hannah's two top teeth are coming in, and bless her little heart, it is NOT easy for her. She has been running a fever for about 30 hours now. It got really high yesterday for about 2 hours, but the rest of the time, it's been bearable. She's pretty happy for the most part, with a little extra fussy in there. This complicated yesterday because I really just wanted to hold her and comfort her, but I couldn't because of the other three...so that was tough. Her teeth still haven't broke through yet, hopefully today. Oh...this was why I needed a nap yesterday, I only slept about 3 or 4 hours the night before because she was crying so much:-( But, she slept all night last night.
Well, I suppose this post is long enough. My point....we had a good day yesterday with the four kids, but I need help dealing with tattle tales. Hannah is teething and hopefully will be better soon. And, I'm caught up on sleep.
4 comments:
i definitely agree boys are different than girls. i've watched my nieces and nephews before. i think boys are easier, but i have a boy so i'm used to their habits. your monday's will surely be busy with 4 kids but you will have fun with it. i love watching my nieces and nephews (i call them all MY babies). hope hannah's teeth come in soon, poor baby girl :(
Oh, boys. I really wouldn't mind if I had ALL girls after babysitting a few boys.
About the tattling...nothing will make it easier, really, but teaching kids how to talk to each other and solve their own problems. This is tough with kids so little, but I teach them simple phrases, like "Please stop it." This way they at least learn to use their words with each other instead of hitting or telling mommy.
I used to remind the kids I watched every day of the words to say, and when they needed to be reminded, I would say, "Use your words," or "Go talk about it."
With older kids I taught them the "I statements," simplified. But you have to practice A LOT.
thanks for the advice amanda! and Kirsten...girls are WAY easier ; ) For now anyway...
you got it girl...boys are different. I'm interested to see if this one is a girl how it will be.
Also...i have a few all natural teething helper if you want them...an amber necklace, some arnica pain remedy and belladona for the fever. Just let me know and we can get them to ya.
Post a Comment