***UPDATE***
Last night I went to bed at 9 and slept until 6!! Yay! I feel better. Hannah's fever is gone and her teeth have arrived.
Last night was perhaps the worst night I've had, ever, with both of the girls. They both went down fine, except that Hannah's fever spiked to 103.8. I gave her infant motrin and she went to sleep. The guys had their Bible Study and I hung out in the room and went to bed around 10:15. About 10:45 (just as I fell into a great sleep) I awake to hear Hannah screaming (not crying, screaming). Jeremy ended up getting her and tried putting her back down to sleep. I went back to bed...5 minutes later, screaming again. So, I got up and decided to stay up because I hate to lay down and get back up. It really messes with me. The guys left a little after 11 and Jeremy went to bed. Before I go further, let me say that Jeremy would stay up with me if I asked him to, but I believe that it is important for him to get sleep because he has to work the next day. If I'm tired, I can just lay low around the house, he can't. So it makes me happy when he goes to bed at night.
Anyway....Hannah screamed and cried for about an hour. Since she was no longer feverish (completely gone), had a dry diapers and I even *gasp* nursed her, so she was fed, I let her cry it out. So, about 11:45 Nicole gets up and says she has to potty. This happened a few more times. Hannah is still screaming, Nicole keeps getting up to go potty, and I'm awake. Hannah finally falls asleep at 12:30, Nicole had been down again about 15 minutes, so I head for bed. 5 minutes later, here comes Nicole. We go potty, lay her down, I go back to bed. 10 minutes later (of course I just fell asleep again) here comes Nicole again. I decide she doesn't have to pee, so I rock her in the living room. Something I haven't done this late at night in a long long time. I decide to cherish the moment and I truly enjoyed rocking with my sweet -growing up to fast -baby. She however was wide awake!!! It took me close to 45 minutes to rock her to sleep. So I transition her into her bed about 1:30 or 1:40. I decide not to go right back to bed, just in case. About 2, I crawl back in bed and head to sleep. At that time, I had decided not to get up at 5 and go to the gym...I knew 3 hours wouldn't be enough sleep for me for the next day.
5:45, Hannah is screaming again. There is NO consoling her or getting her back to sleep. I lay on the couch with her for about 30 minutes, give up and start playing with her. Jeremy gets up at 6:30, Nicole gets up when she hears the shower turn on...and alas, the day has started with me only getting 3 1/2 hours of sleep.
I was cranky this morning...I can not lie. But, by about 8:30 I was having normal conversation and making some sense. I've had a good day with the girls and even visiting with a few friends. I am sooooo sleepy and didn't get a nap because sweet Hannah decided not to take one yet this afternoon (she did sleep about 3 hours this morning, which was good I guess since she didn't sleep much last night).
Why did I post this...not to complain, although it may have sounded like it. I was actually cool with everything and submitted to the fact that I am their mother, and this is my job...until 6:15 this morning when I held Hannah up and told her I didn't know what to do with her, hahaha.
You know what though...there are many mothers and babies who do this on a nightly basis. I'm thankful nights like this are somewhat uncommon for us. I enjoyed rocking with Nicole. I did not enjoy listening to Hannah scream, but I was happy when she finally fell asleep. I'm thankful my girls are healthy, strong little people that can take a bad night and make it into a good day. And, I'm even more thankful that God's grace is sufficient for me. I could not have made it through today without his grace in my life, I would have been a mess. So, Thank You Lord for showing me abundant grace today.
5 comments:
It was very fun to meet you today! I am so sorry you had such a tough night :) BOO!! I am sure I have many of those coming my way!
haha...thanks. It was good to meet you as well. It'll be fun when little Hope can scurry up that play area and go down the slide. It will come faster than you can imagine:-)
Michele,
I'm so sorry about your night. It did kind of make me smile though. It's good to know that there's other moms out there who have bad nights...I'm sure my mind will trail back to this blog the next time I have a bad night. It's easy to think you're the only one up in the world when you're going through a tough night. Hehe
I'm glad that you can look at the day and see the Lord's grace in your life. Sometimes it takes me well into the evening, (if at all) for me to get over feeling sorry for myself about the past night's or day's experiences. Thanks so much for sharing...it was really helpful for me to read and I hope that I can have your outlook the next time I'm faced with a "mommy challenge."
-Tiffy
Oh, Michele. I just hurt for you and hope Hannah feels better. :(
That is funny I haven't had a night like that with Casey except when she was an infant but Caden and I have had a few nights like that when he was really sick about a week ago. God is really amazing how He supplies the energy and patience to get through those times to comfort the babies. I make Joe sleep with earplugs in so he doesn't get disturbed since he works 2 jobs I am like you and figure I can just spend the day reading to the kids instead of running around with them or cleaning if I am tired. I will pray that these nights don't happen very often for you!
Post a Comment