This post is mostly for me. Sometimes I write posts for friends or family...but this one is for me. To vent, to remember, to learn, to create as a memory. This blog has sort of become a giant memory book, and this post is written for that book.
I'm quite sure I experience the entire range of emotions, except grief, a person can experience, each and every day. I can't say that a day goes by that I'm not totally stressed out, or laughing hysterically, or frustrated, or angry, or goofy, or calm. I'm pretty much all of those things at some point every day. Some days I'm more stressed than calm or more goofy than angry.
Some thoughts I've had in the last 8 1/2 weeks...
~It's incredibly hard to potty train a toddler with an infant in the other hand. I think I've given up until Nate can at least sit on his own.
~I can only go one place in any given day, and it's best if I wait several days between venturing out of the house alone. What I mean is...if I don't make it to the grocery store over the weekend, I generally MUST go on Monday, and that is the only place I can go that day. And, I better not forget anything because that's the only time I'll make it to the store that week.
~Publix, again, is the best grocery store on the planet. Although I feel like I'm driving a semi-cart, their extra large cart with a bench for two bigger kids is perfect for pushing Nicole and Hannah while Nate is in the Moby Wrap.
~I love my Moby Wrap, even though I was ready to toss it in the wind (not really Teri) at first. That thing is incredibly comfy, Nate likes it, and it allows me to get a lot of work done, especially if I'm out and about. It is also funny because people freak out when they see just legs hanging from my belly.
~An infant's smile does make up for all the crying. I already knew this...but it's hard to remember it during that first month and a half. Now that Nathan is regularly smiling at me, it makes his fussy times bearable.
~I think a great age spacing of children is 3 years. I wish Hannah were a bit older. She's to young to be any help at all (especially to herself), but she thinks she's big enough to do things. It's just insane at times. I don't think I can totally explain.
~I'm totally counting down until I'm finished breastfeeding. I have been pregnant or nursing for 4 1/2 years, minus 2 months between Nicole and Hannah when I was neither pregnant nor breastfeeding. 44 more weeks left.
~I've been alone twice. Once was two weeks ago, I got to run errands while the babies
~Nicole is an incredible big sister. I love how she is so sweet to Nathan. I love when she calls him Nate.
~Hannah is a sweet big sister too. She is always concerned when Nathan doesn't have a paci in his mouth. And, she was the first to share her stickers with him today.
~I love that Nicole and Hannah are sharing a bed. It's so sweet to watch them bond and play together, even if they should be sleeping. Yesterday, at nap time, Hannah had her head on Nicole's belly, and Nicole was playing with Hannah's hair. They were talking. Today Nicole was playing "This little piggy" with Hannah and making her laugh hysterically when the last piggy went "wee wee wee all the way home". I hope when they are older, this time will help them to become sweet friends and that many memories are shared between them.
~Jeremy is an amazing husband and father. He has really "stepped up" to the plate in helping me out. I appreciate his willingness to help with dishes, or get the girls bathed and ready for bed if I am otherwise busy with Nathan. He is gracious when the house is cluttered with toys or when the bed still lays unmade.
~I thought by now we would be falling into a schedule or routine. Not so much. I still can barely get everyone fed, dressed and groomed before 10 am...myself included.
~I won't lie...there have been a few days so hectic that I saw Jeremy's van pull up and I dropped everything to go brush my teeth and my hair, for the first time that day.
~The girls have watched at least 3 times more TV in the past 2 months than I've ever let them watch. It's so tempting to just turn it on for a few hours, because Nicole won't move, and Hannah will be somewhat interested. I try to save those times though for the morning I MUST get a shower and dry my hair to go somewhere that I need to look presentable.
~My hopes of gardening with my girls and baby boy sitting in his chair have died. Our garden is
~I am less sure of my mothering now than when I had just one, or even two.
~I feel more judged now by how my children act than I ever have.
~My walk with God is so unsteady. I feel unworthy in so many ways, which both drives me to Him and away from Him. I guess it depends on the day which way I go. Some hard days I feel ashamed and as though I can't talk to Him, other hard days, I just want to cling to Him. I wish it were the latter more than the former.
~I love my family and am grateful that God has allowed me to have a loving husband and three healthy children. I realize I am blessed.
~My selfishness glares it's nasty face WAY more often than I'd like. Most of the time when I'm frustrated it's because something hasn't turned out MY way and I'm mad about it.
~Some days I wish I could move away and have my family all to myself. You know...like Little House on the Prairie (which we are almost finished reading aloud). I want to live in a little house on a lot of land that Jeremy maintains. He can come home for lunch every day and the children play outside in the trees and ponds with no distractions like tv or computer or phones.
~Other days I want to sit the kids down in front of those distractions...All Day Long
~I haven't really spent any time with or spoken with many friends in the past few weeks. I'm just to busy or wiped out when I have a minute. There are a few I email on a regular basis, and I'm thankful for them. But, my person to person contact has dwindled significantly. I think this will get better again in the next few months.
~ I wrote the above statement last week when I originally wrote this post. Yesterday I happened upon a friend while we were both at Chic-Fil-A. She was an answered prayer. We sat and talked for an hour while the kids played in the play area. It was so refreshing, and JUST what I needed.
~I really need to get my eyes check. I can't see my pastor's face at church, it's just a blury oval, or read the clock on the stove when I'm sitting at our table. But, I feel bad getting my eyes checked and ordering glasses because I've had them in the past and lost them. I'm terribly irresponsible when it comes to those things.
~I want to play more games with Nicole and read to her like I used to.
~I want to sit and hold and hug and rock Hannah more, like I used to. (Ha, I just wrote that one and she woke up crying. Instead of shushing her and making her lay down, I picked her up and did exactly what I wanted...I hugged and rocked her. She is so big. It seems like yesterday when I was rocking her to sleep every night with her little head on my chest.)
~I want to enjoy Nathan more as a baby, because he's already changing so fast.
~I really want to be a good wife and mother. It's one of my greatest desires.
~I wish Hannah didn't suck on a paci anymore, but I'm not up for that battle yet.
~I'm afraid I'm missing out on a lot teaching opportunities with Hannah because I'm so inconsistent right now. Mostly because my hands are usually full with Nathan and I can't deal with situations as quickly as I'd like. Plus, Hannah is the Master of Distractions. Seriously...this girl has you talking in circles until you've forgotten why your even trying to discipline her. She's got it down!
~My other greatest desire is that my children know and love the Lord.
~There have been days I wanted to give up and let someone else raise my kids because I just didn't think I could do it anymore. And then, there's other days that I don't want my children around anyone else except me and Jeremy.
~I can't decide if I'm going to post this because I know there will be a few people who will choose to read this all the way through and have nasty judgmental thoughts about me. Even people who love me, and I'm having a hard time with that...you know....knowing that I haven't pleased somebody. Because of that I've gone through and deleted a lot of my thoughts.
~I'm doing the best I can...even if that means just treading water for a few more weeks and accomplishing little on my to due list.
~I still like the idea of having children close together in age.
~I like the book of Proverbs and have been learning a lot from our pastor's series and from reading on my own. There's an incredible amount of wisdom there in parenting your children...why do I feel like I need others opinions?
~I want to let loose a little more and just have fun and be silly. I take life WAY to seriously.
~I hate running, but have enjoyed using the treadmill, once I turn it on anyway.
~I have eaten way to much chocolate and drank way to much Dr. Pepper and Mr. Pibb...but they have a calming effect on me. It's like a drug I think.
~When Nicole was born, Jeremy installed a camera in her room looking into the crib. The camera displays on our TV. Right now it's pointed at the girls in bed so we can yell at them to "lay down" or "stop hitting each other" from the living room. I actually think it's really fun to just sit and watch them interact.
~I often look at my children and wonder what they'll be like in 5 years or 10 years of 15 years. I feel like I've got "glimpses" of what Nicole will look like when she's 15...it's a bit creepy sometimes. I love to think about it though. I don't have big dreams like "I want my son to be a professional baseball player, or my daughter to be a doctor" I don't care much they do...I care more about what they become. I dream more of them being kind and loving, compassionate and giving...Godly young people who love the Lord and love others.
~My life is crazy, filled with wet and dirty undies and diapers, markers written on paper, hands, faces, walls and floors, play-doh...both molded and eaten, messes made and cleaned hours later, incredible amounts of spit up...projected on the floor, in my hair and on the couch, sticky hugs, wet kisses, silly routines that must be followed each night, a husband who loves me, and three children who keep me busy and on my toes. Really....I'm truly blessed.
7 comments:
I love you Michele! I miss our friendship. Even though I have only been a mom for 2 months, I am already there with you in so many ways. Especially the judgemental part. That I believe is the devil wanting us to feel incompetent to what the Lord has called us to do. I can say with 100% surety that being a mom, whatever the fashion, is SOO hard. It does test and try every emotion, every nerve, and every bit of sanity.
I think that the worst thing that we can do though, is let our children get in the way with our relationships with God. I have to admit, that I have only opened my Bible a handful of time, and have actually only gone into service a couple of times since I have got my foster kids. (Granted we have been sick.) But our relationship needs to come before our kids or we will be not as loving, caring, patient, and compassionate as we should be.
I am glad you shared! Once you open up it allows other to get closer and know what to pray for!
Thank you for the advice you shared, and I think that I would like to borrow your baby gate. I already have one, but one more would be awesome!
Love you!
Jen Sessions
p.s do you get texts?
yes, you can text me...and call me when you want to come by and get the gate.
As for service, we will actually be IN service very little over the next few months...but we'll try to at least listen in fellowship hallways. We actually used to go up to our BLG classroom and turn on the projector and watch up there. That way we could be listening without all the other distractions. Can you get into your classroom on the weekends?
Michele-
Nothing you are feeling is abnormal... your post is refreshing because it says a lot of what many of us think but can't even think clearly enough to put them into words, so you are STILL ahead of the game! :) Praying for you, my dear friend, and thanking the Lord with you for all He has given/done to and in your family. Keep on keepin' on!
THAT was great. Awesome post. Took the words right out of my mouth (that I didn't quite know how to express) in some cases and in other cases I just LOVED reading all of what's going on in your mind right now. I can soo relate. With most except the THREE kids part that is! :) I love you, sister! What a privilege it is to call you friend!
YOU READ MY MIND!!! I'm sitting here reading your post thinking, "me too, me TOO, MEEE TOO!" Can I just copy and paste your thoughts to my blog and just change the names? LOL
I love your honesty, your transperancy and your ability to put your feelings into words so beautifully.
Thank you for posting!
(still a little creapy how spot on most of your thoughts are to mine. God has a great way of reminding us we aren't alone in this journey of motherhood.) I LOVE YOU!!
Michele, let me first say that I know we haven't had much opportunity to interact since high school, but I love following your blog. You are such an encouragement and you help to set a real example of Christian family values in every since of the words. You are amazingly creative, and I do not know how you get it all done. I love reading about your lives and the way you treat Jeremy and teach your little girls. It has served as good reminders for me on days when I might not feel like putting forth that extra effort to make something special for my husband or I want to work late and let Jeff tuck Bella into bed.
I never imagined how conflicting it could actually be to want to be a good Christian, wife, parent, and professional. Balancing all of these sometimes feels like too much, but then like you said, I remember these days will be gone before I know it. I waited so long and wanted these children and this family so badly. I have to give them my best. In your posts, it seems that you are great at that, and I want you to know I love reading about it. The realness is very encouraging to me!
Thanks for your comments ladies. I really didn't think or expect anyone to read all the way down to the bottom of the post! hahaha.
I'm glad I could put words into so many of your mouths:-)
Stephanie...thanks for the comment. I had no idea you were keeping up with the blog. Thank you for your encouraging words too:)
Post a Comment