Thursday, June 17, 2010

Annual Check ups

This week, all three kids had their well-check visits. 

Nicole 
40 lbs  (82nd percentile)
 42.75 inches (97th percentile)

She had the remainder of her booster shots, so she is now fully vaccinated.  I'm not sure how I feel about that...but she is.  She got "four shots, because she's four"  That's what the nurse told her (glad I don't get 30 shots next year, owey!)  The nurse also told her I would take her out for icecream if she didn't cry (thanks a lot nurse Connie! haha)  We had a really fun appointment with Dr. Brown.  Nicole and I went alone, which was fun.  Nicole jumped up and down, followed instructions Dr. Brown gave her and came out with a big A+.  Yay for Nicole!  We still need to work on her speech, but she is improving.  We'll keep working on phonics and some sounds that she struggles with...but that is sort of normal for this age.  And, yes...we did go out for ice cream after the appointment.  She did not cry.

Hannah
30.1 lbs (90th percentile)
36 inches tall (97th percentile)

Hannah received 3 vaccines, her first MMR, chicken pox and Hep A ( she also did not cry...she just said "ow" with the last one).  She's a bit behind on the schedule, but that's ok....I like it that way.  Hannah also had a very good appointment.  She answer nearly every question with "uh huh" but also participated in Dr. Brown's question (like, touch your toes, stand up straight....).  Hannah also checked out great.  She's a big girl!  Taller and bigger than most girls her age, but we knew that already:-)  She is healthy and happy, and that's what really matters!

Nathan
18lbs 12 ounces (60 percentile)
28.5 inches long (94 percentile)

Nate also did great.  He is very long for his age, and his weight is just a little above average.  Again, no surprise for me.  I was worried a little because he's not fully sitting up on his or crawling yet (I thought the girls were by this point, but she told me not to compare boys and girls).  Anyway, she said that he is right on track physcially.  He's putting weight/pressure on his feet when lifted up.  He's semi sitting (like a tripod), his head is strong and he's scooting around on his belly a bit.  Nathan got his first shot, so...he's way behind, but again... I'm ok with that.  he'll get them eventually. 

Now, the mystery of the constant diaper rash.  Well, I'm not even sure I want to call it a rash.  It's almost never bumpy.  He's always just bright red in the peepee area.  Well, Dr. Brown told me that it's probably something acidic that I eat or drink that is coming out in his urine that is causing the redness.  Instantly I thought of my Dr. Pepper (or two) that I drink every single day since having 3 children.  So, no more.  I went through terrible day of headache and withdraw (like, I couldn't move my head or eyes...it was horrible.  I feel bad for anyone who's been addicted to drugs and had to go off, sheesh!).  Anyway, he's pretty much free and clear.  I finally chocked up his redness to just being a boy, and boys are a little grosser than girls, you know?  Powder wouldn't work, creams wouldn't work, different brands of cloth and disposable diapers weren't working.  Guess what worked.  Giving up my beloved Dr. Pepper.  Now, it just so happens that I had already decided last weekend that Monday I would stop drinking soda.  So, now when I really want it or think I need it,  I can't drink it, because I know it'll cause problems for Nathan.  Thank you Lord for giving me a REAL reason not to drink my soda.  I'll stay away now. 

We are very grateful that we have three very healthy children.  As you can see, they are all very tall (thank you Jeremy....or my Papa Sam is also very tall, maybe they take after him ; )

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Wow that's a lot of Dr. Appointments! Glad they are all doing so well; we use Dr. Brown as well and just love her and the staff. They are worth the drive from N.Naples in my opinion.

Michele said...

Oh yes! I love Dr. Brown (we've been through a couple not so great pediatricians). I thought I could schedule all three at once, which was why I waited...but, they would only let me do 2 at a time. Anyway, it was nice to get it out of the way:-)

Amanda said...

That is very interesting how your Dr. Pepper addiction worked itself out because you told me you were going to give it up last week! I love it, and I'm proud of you. God is kind of funny with stuff like that. Sometimes when I get bad caffeine headaches I drink decaf iced or hot tea and it helps a bit or at first when I gave up caffeine, I used half decaf tea and half caff tea when I made our iced tea. Although tea might hurt Nathan, too, and I know you don't want to start another addiction! LOL. But tea is cheap and it helps move things along since I'm pregnant. ;-)

Amanda said...

I forgot to say...you do have very tall girls! But be grateful that their weight is in semi-proportion to their height! I look back at pictures of John when he was little and just pray Maryn isn't quite so thin!

I'm glad they didn't give you a hard time about the vaccines, too. I hope our dr. is just as forgiving. And...I just heard a sermon from a pastor who confessed to bribing his kids with ice cream after shots. lol. So I guess that makes it okay! He said it gives them something to look forward to while they endure the pain. Just like we look forward to Heaven and keep our eyes on Christ as we endure pain...or something like that. So see? You are being totally, totally Biblical!

Anonymous said...

I just love that your Nathan is 18 pounds. It's so funny because Rylea is still sitting at 16 pounds at 12 months and 2 weeks. :) Your babes are going to be tall!