Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Chicken-Broccoli Couscous

I found this recipe a few months ago in Everyday with Rachael Ray magazine.  I ripped it out of the magazine because it had broccoli and chicken in it.  I finally tried it about 2 months ago, and it has become a family favorite.  It is so fast to make, very yummy and can be modified I'm sure to include whatever veggies your family likes (our veggie of choice is broccoli).  I like this recipe because it takes just a few minutes to make if you have already done your prep work. 

Here is a link to the full recipe.

First you cook up your salted and peppered chicken breasts.

When that is finished, you saute your chopped onions and boil your chicken stock in a different pot for the couscous.

After 5 minutes, add your chopped broccoli and a couple of cups of chicken stock to the onions. 

Also, pour the couscous into the boiling chicken stock, cover and set aside.

Let the broccoli cook for 5 minutes, then add your chicken (which you should have shredded), couscous, raisins, parsley and toasted almonds. You can either toast your almonds in the oven or over the stove top.  I just sprayed a little olive oil and toasted my almonds on the stove over medium heat.  I LOVE toasted almonds....yummy.

I add a little more than half of my cooked couscous, but I could add all of it if I cooked more chicken and broccoli.  Also, fresh parsley is best, but this is what my fresh parsley looked like. 

I haven't cooked a real dinner in a week (family was in town and I didn't get a chance to cook much), so I haven't used my fresh herbs in a while.  I guess a few days of neglect create a great opportunity for bugs and caterpillars :-(

Anyway, I know the ingredients are a little odd in this dish, especially the raisins...but they are very good.  This has become a household favorite.  Quick, easy, yummy, and healthy.  I like that!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

It looks great! BTW--we have the same dishes, how funny:)

Michele said...

That's funny. Actually, my mother-in-law bought them for me for my birthday a few years ago because I was oooing and aahhhing over them at a bridal shower. I wish I had a second set!