Tuesday, August 24, 2010

First Day of School

This past week, Nicole had her first day of school.  It was an exciting experience for both of us. 

This year, Nicole and her friend Hannah Mae will be having school time together once a week for a couple of hours.  The young man here is John Robert, Hannah Mae's older brother.  Although this time is review for him, he is helping us teach the girls and model school-like behavior.  He is actually a pretty great 7 year old.  Nicole really likes him.  I think he will be a  great example for the girls to follow.

At the beginning of our time, we stand and say the Pledge of Allegiance, pray and start off with a little devotional book. 

This week was sort of an introduction week.  We learned about the 7 days of Creation. Nicole made a timeline and a book.

Hannah Mae is a little older than Nicole so I think she will push Nicole in some ways.  One area is coloring.  She uses coordinating colors and stays in the line.  Nicole still picks up the crayons and scribbles away.  So, I'm hoping that as she sees someone else color more carefully, she will also want to.

The curriculum we will be using is called "My Father's World."  Each week has a different theme and provides science, language arts, math, social studies, art and reading opportunities. 

My aim is to provide Nicole with 2-3 hours a week with my complete attention.  Hannah and Nathan will be hanging out with my mom or Grammy during this time each week.  So, already this has been a neat time for Nicole and I to be together. 

This is also a great opportunity for Nicole to develop friendship skills.  Our hope is that Nicole and Hannah Mae will begin a sweet friendship that will last for many years.  Already, they seem to love to each other. 

I also have the chance to learn from a very talented teacher.  My friend Jennifer was a 1st grade teacher before having children and being a stay at home mom.  In just our first two meetings, I have learned a lot about topics like handwriting, grammar, and expectations.  Quite honestly...I'm sort of clueless as to what Nicole should be able to do and when...and then how to teach her those things. So, I have a really great chance to watch and learn too. 

Nicole has been very excited about school.  She has her own backpack and we are working on getting her supplies in order.  I love the accountability this will provide for me, because once our year really gets going, our 2 hour segment will really be a "jumping off" point for the rest of the week.  I am sure we'll have "homework" and activities to do the rest of the week. 

We are very excited and thankful for this opportunity for the girls to learn together, develop a friendship and better their skills in preparation for Kindergarten.

1 comment:

Aunt Julie said...

How fun and how exciting. Michele, I am glad you are enjoying going back to school also and spending time with Nicole learning new things. I know so much has changed since we were all in school and wow, it is like starting over again.
Love ya all.