Dear future Daughter-in-law,
I've been thinking about you a lot the past few days. It probably sounds weird to most people that I am thinking about (and praying for) the girl my son will marry some day, but let me tell you why.
I believe a big part of my job in raising Nathan is to teach him to be a Godly, strong, honorable man who portrays the characteristics and traits that a wife would want him to have one day. This task is just beginning, and I hope that one day, when you meet, you will look at him and see a man that will provide and care for you, love you, treat you with respect, be your friend and partner.
At this stage in the game, I am Nate's true love (haha)...and he gets fiercly jealous if someone else is around me, touch me or hugging me because he thinks that I am his...and no one elses:-) Lately, I have watched him hit his sisters when they are near me. Sometimes I am holding him, and they come over to give me a hug and he hits them upside the head. Sometimes they are sitting on my lap listening to a story and he crawls over, for one reason....to hit them.
So, lesson number one has begun for Nate, I will not allow him to hit another person...especially a girl. That's where you came into my mind. The other day, as I watched him crawl over to hit his sister, I thought of you. I do not want to raise a son who thinks it is ok to hit a woman...or his wife....EVER! Obviously he is a baby and simply hits because that's what baby's tend to do...but it does not make it ok. He must learn self-control. He must learn to treat others as he would want to be treated. He must learn to be a gentleman. He must learn to respect others, especially women. And, that learning commenced this week.
So, my dear future daughter-in-law, I hope that I am diligent in teaching him these things. I hope that in 20 or 25 years, that you have a young man who loves the Lord, loves you, serves and protects you, respects you and treats you as a precious gift. I will be thinking about you and praying for you over the years as I care for this sweet little baby boy and help to mold him into the man who will one day will care for you.
2 comments:
lol well done Mommy! I have tried to write a letter to the future Mrs. Josiah Erdman, but it always ends up feeling creepy. lol. But yours is perfect!
Tears in my eyes, memories in my heart, missing my son. What a sweet, sweet letter. that's all I have to say about that for now.
Post a Comment