Saturday, April 2, 2011

Butterfly Garden

After several years of attempted vegetable gardening, it was clear that we had a black thumb and did not posses the "know how" to maintain organically.  This winter, we actually did much better growing our veggies in pots. 

So, here lay an empty and overgrown patch in our yard that was getting ready to be covered over with grass. 

Then, I started planning the summer curriculum and realized that we were doing a unit on the lifecycle of a butterfly.  What better way to learn about that, then to "hope to" lure them to our home.  We researched the best plants for our area and today we planted our butterfly garden.

We decorated it with garden accessories too.

We used milkweed...the absolute must have butterfly drawing plant, a butterfly bush, several pentas and, I forget what the yellow plants are called. 

The girls had fun clearing the vegetable garden out last weekend. 

Nathan was fascinated with the rainbow pinwheel I bought at the dollar store.






I love our little garden, it's so pretty!  It will be easier to maintain because we will use weed killer to keep the weeds at bay.  We didn't do that when gardening veggies.  We will not use pest control though because then our little caterpillars would die...and we actually want them to come eat our plants.  I hope we planted enough flowers to attract some butterflies to eat and lay eggs so we can have a real live classroom in our backyard.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

This is so sweet, Michele. Good job to you and Jeremy, too. I know that must have been some serious labor. The girls will always remember their butterfly garden. We had a butterfly garden at my old school where I taught and there was also one at the school I taught in New Zealand. Both gardens had lots of butterfly residents. I'll see if I can send you a link so you can show Nicole and Hannah the beautiful New Zealand butterflies!

Amanda said...

Here is a picture of the long tailed blue butterfly. I remember seeing them a lot in NZ, flying all around us as we ate our lunches, because we always ate outside. They were so, so pretty and vibrant.
http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/butterflies-and-moths/1/2