A few weeks ago, we started going through My Father's World Kindergarten curriculum. Our first week was N-Nest "God takes good care of me". Each week, there is a phrase to memorize and then I pick a corresponding Bible verse for the girls to memorize. We have a book (or two or three) that we read often throughout the week.
The Bible verse I chose was Mathew 6:26 Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they?
We spent time outside pretending we were birds picking up supplies to build our nests, and then we came inside and built our nest (I used the bottom of an oatmeal container for our shape).
Since a nest is a home for a bird, we talked a lot about other homes for animals. A really fun book to read was "A House is a House for me" and "Animal Homes". We also happened to get a book on animal homes from a Chic-fil-a kid's meal that went perfectly with our unit.
The next week, we did T is for Turtle. The phrase was "I don't quit; I persevere"
the bible verse we learned was Galatians 6:9 "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."
We talked a lot about perseverance last week. We read and watched the fable of the Tortoise and the Hare. We read about turtles and how their shell is their home (tying into last week). Honestly, school work wasn't much of a priority last week....so we didn't get a lot done. We had a couple of days doing some worksheets. My favorite for these letter units have been from here. It is a letter search that even Hannah can do. Then, they practice writing the letter on the bottom (a tip, for those who are learning to write like Hannah, use a yellow marker to write the letter for them, then they can trace the letter with a pencil).
We also used worksheets from Confessions of a Homeschooler. While Nicole was working on her math, Hannah was sorting turtles according to color and according to size. Nicole later sorted according to color as well. The words were in gray and she had to match the color of the turtle with the correct word. So, she had to figure out how to spell some of the colors...or least make an educated guess.
The phrase for this week really "stuck", especially with Hannah. When she found out that our friend Dan was quitting his job, she said to Jeremy, "But daddy, He shouldn't quit; he should persevere" :-)
I don't have any pictures form last week (Jeremy had the camera out of town), so that is why I combined these two weeks. This week though, I ought to have lots of pictures:-)




2 comments:
Wow!!!!!! I am totally impressed by Hannah! Way to go, girly! And I'm impressed by you too, Michele :) Good job! I love reading about what you're doing for school. Maryn makes nests every day. Out of blankets, sticks, dirt, couch cushions, toys, dishes, etc. LOL...I think she got it from an episode of Sid the Science Kid.
Yes...my girls are always "making" things with random objects (mostly blankets, pillows, cushions and rope). I love Sid though...they really do learn things from him.
Post a Comment