Tuesday, May 3, 2011

It's what I do....It's who I am

I think I am a pretty normal mommy.  Most moments of my day revolve around caring, feeding, wiping, protecting, teaching, playing, disciplining, laughing, crying, changing, or just being with my little ones.  It's what I do.  It's who I am.

I have a hard time carrying on conversations with people without bringing up my kids...or talking about how funny they are, or how crazy they make me, or how much they challenge me.  This weekend, we had a double date with some friends who do not have children, so I was trying to be considerate in my conversations and not just talk about them.  But, do you know what happened?  I ended up not talking much at all.  I can't help talking about my children.  It's what I do...It's who I am.

There are people in my life who offer me "breaks".  An hour away to go grocery shopping alone, a morning to run errands or just get some "me" time.  I appreciate that...but honestly, when those times come, I feel a bit lost.  I look forward to time away from my children, but when I get it....I want nothing more than to get them back.  I seem to be a bit lost without them.  It's what I do....It's who I am.

This season of my life is filled with runny noses, dirty diapers, potty training, homeschooling, lots of cleaning, cooking, preparing and playing.  But this is what I do...It's who I am. 

So often I hear mothers apologizing for their quirky behaviors or feeling bad for themselves because they don't have a paying job or an exciting hobby.  But you know what....this is what I am pouring my life into now.  I may not get to sew as much as I'd like to, or exercise every day.  I may not be the perfect "house wife" (who wants to married to their house anyway?) or expert in design.  Maybe a day will come when I do have more time to pursue other interests...but right now, my main interest is my family - serving and helping my husband  and loving and teaching my children. No apologies.  

It's what I do...It's who I am.

7 comments:

Beth H said...

I love this post!!! I feel so many of the same feelings daily. Finding little bits of you in the day is great, but then when you step back and realize all those things together make YOU...it's pretty awesome!

Jennifer said...

I love this post too! I ditto not wanting to be married to my house either :)

Jennifer said...

Okay, so I'm the third person to love this post! I know there are so many who believe I lead a dull existence because "this is who I am, it's what I do," but it is anything but dull! I love being wrapped up in my family and our home as a place of landing for them. Thanks for sharing and letting us know that someone else feels that way, too!

Amber said...

Michele, beautifully said!!! It is so encouraging to hear that other moms out there feel called to stay at home and serve their families in a full time capacity. I still haven't met a single stay at home mom here in GA - not one!

Amber said...

Michele, beautifully said!!! It is so encouraging to hear that other moms out there feel called to serve their families at home in a full time capacity, and that they actually love it! I feel very privileged to be able to stay at home with my sweet Eli, but it's getting harder and harder to find other moms who feel the same way. Thanks for the encouragement!

Amanda said...

Oh my I feel the same as you almost to a tee, and everything the other commenters said. I wanted to add to the part about taking a break away from home. It makes me so mad sometimes that taking a break isn't really taking a break because I just want to feel those tiny arms around my neck. But it's what I do! It's who I am! :)

Tiffany said...

Thakns for the reminder Shelly! This was a good post! :)