Monday, May 16, 2011

The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away. Blessed be the name of the LORD

Then Job arose and and tore his robe and shaved his head, and he fell to the ground and worshipped.  He said,
"Naked I came from my mother's womb,
and naked I shall return there.  
The LORD gave and the LORD has taken 
away. 
Blessed be the name of the LORD."
Through all this Job did not sin nor did he blame God.

Job said those words after receiving a message that all of his children had died after their house collapsed (from a great wind...think tornado), after all of his oxen and camels and slaves were murdered, and after a fire burned up the sheep and servants with them.  All in one day!  Very tragic, very difficult...he lost everything his had and all of his family in a matter of moments or hours.  YET....yet...he did not sin and he did not blame God.  What was Job's response?  "The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away. Blessed be the name of the LORD".  He worshiped God. 

That's what happens when tragic things happen to people who know the one true God.  When everything seems crazy, confusing or lost...where do you turn?  Back to God...but not in rage or anger or frustration.  No...in worship

Lord, help me to be like Job and worship you in times of difficulty.

Although the news we received this morning was not as terrible when compared to Job's, it was difficult, emotional and saddening.  And, the one verse that kept ringing in my mind was "The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away.  Blessed be the name of the LORD."

Last night, I started noticing some problems with my pregnancy.  After talking with my midwife, I layed in bed the rest of the night. The problems did not stop...they got worse.  This morning, I received an ultrasound and was told that, although by the calendar I am 12 weeks pregnant, the baby stopped growing sometime after 8 weeks.  And, there was no heartbeat to found.  After the 45 minute ultrasound, my mind felt confused, hurt and sad....but my heart kept saying "Bless the name of the LORD, Bless the name of the LORD."

This is not my first miscarriage.  I had a miscarriage before I was pregnant with Nicole.  It will be 6 years ago in about two weeks.  THAT was the most difficult time in my life.  I don't often think about it, because I do still become emotional.  I remember the uncontrollable sobbing, however, I also remember crying out to Jesus...because I had no where else to turn.  After several months of healing and learning to trust the Lord in a deeper way, I became pregnant with Nicole...and, well...the rest is history. 

I have not had a lot of tragedy in my life, but the difficult moments always bring me back to "my first love".  I KNOW that I KNOW, that I KNOW that I can trust the God of the universe.  The God who knows me and created me.  I know that "all things work together for the good of those who know Him, who are called, according to His plan" (Rom. 8:28)  I know that each day has been ordained before me, written in His book, even before one of them came to be. (Psm. 139:16)

I do not know the answers to the questions people want to ask. But, I do know I can trust the One, True Living God and follow the examples of great men and women of old and say "Blessed be the name of the LORD."

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

Michele,
I am so sorry. Having gone through a miscarriage myself, I hurt for you today. No matter how far along you are, it seems to come as such a shock, such a loss...So proud of your steadfast faith, of your ruthless trust when your heart aches. He is honored by you today, thanks offered in the midst of unwanted grief is an especially sweet offering. Praying that you feel His nearness to you as you rest in the shadow of His wings. Love you friend, sending you hugs from Minnesota.

Amanda said...

Mourning with you, friend. And rejoicing that your baby is in Heaven with Jesus. I love you and we will be praying for you today and always. Miss you :-(

Pat Schooley said...

Michele, I feel so bad for you. My heart is breaking. I love you more then you will ever know.
Yes, the Lord does give, and He does take away. You know your scriptures and I love you so much for that.
God Bless You and Jeremy. I really feel for you both, but your baby's are in heaven with Jesus, and what better place could they be.
They will be waiting with open arms waiting for their Mommy and Daddy.
God's Blessings to you both, and God Bless the girls and Nate.

Mama Pat

Teri said...

Do you know what a blessing, honor, and privilege it is to call you friend? The grace of God is so evident in the lives of you and Jeremy.

I am so sorry for your loss. I love you.

Alison said...

I'm SO sorry. I appreciate your openness and honesty and I'll be praying for you guys. God is faithful. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Michele, You are such an exceptional mother and wonderful Christian! Reading your blog is so uplifting, encouraging, edifying and, well, such a blessing! We will never understand why your precious baby went to Heaven so soon. Only the Lord knows, but your faith is strong; you are trusting Him and having such victory at this really tough time. I am so proud of you, Girl, and praise the Lord for you and your amazing testimony! May the joy of the Lord be your strength. I grieve with you. Love & prayers, Mireya Vance <><

Lynda said...

Thank you for sharing this with us. I am sorry hear of your loss. What an amazing witness you are. God has many wonderful things in store for you and your precious family. Will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers. Lynda

Jennifer said...

I love you my dear friend. I am so sorry.