It's Friday...the week is almost over...and none to soon! Whew, it's been a crazy week and I think just about every human emotion has been felt this week.
However, the most overwhelming emotion of all has been that of complete humility and gratitude. I can not even express in words how I feel towards my family and friends who so quickly came along our side all week.
Tuesday morning when I realized the miscarriage was actually going to be painful, I called my friend Jennifer and asked her to come pick up Nathan. I could not care for him. I was in extreme pain, having real contracts and labor...which was completely unexpected to me. Within half and hour, my sweet friend packed up her three children and was here to whisk my sweet baby boy away....who had been crying his crib because it was the only place I could put him. Although Jennifer thought she would have Nate for just the day, she ended up keeping him for nearly 36 hours. She was gracious enough to keep Nathan over night when my bad day turned to worse.
A few hours after Nate left, Jeremy ended up taking me the hospital because I was hemorrhaging, with no sign of it getting better. Faster than a speeding bullet (really), my dear hubby had me the Emergency Room, ready to knock down anyone who got in our way. Without me even knowing what was going on...my dad left his job to pick the girls up until my mom got off work. I am so grateful for their quick response time that allowed Jeremy to be with and take care of me the rest of the afternoon.
Within a minute of getting placed in an ER room, my doctor came through the door...and she was a gift from the Lord. I actually personally know her...grew up with her daughter and had complete trust in her as a physician. I knew that I was in great hands and care with her. I was so thankful that she was there. I found out later that she was actually headed home after, I'm sure, a long shift. But, when she saw my name come up, she stayed to take care of me. So compassionate. I am so very very very thankful that she was there. I get teary eyed thinking about it.
After several hours in the ER, waiting for different test results to come back, it was determined that I needed to get a D&C. I won't talk to much about this, but it was a procedure I was trying to avoid...but became absolutely necessary to stop the bleeding. My ER doctor could not perform this operation, an ob/gyn was needed. I asked her to call my old ob/gyn whom I had not seen in years because I had been using a midwife. She warned me that he probably wouldn't come because I wasn't technically his patient anymore. Another gift from my Heavenly Father....Dr. Thompson remembered me and instantly said yes. He was there much more quickly than I anticipated and within and hour or so, I was in pre-op getting prepped for my first ever (and hopefully last) visit into the Operating Room. I did begin to get scared, but all of the people who were there were so kind and compassionate...they helped me not be afraid. They ended up putting me completely under and even put a tube down my throat (that was not fun...my throat is just now starting to feel better). The procedure only took about 15 minutes and instantly stopped the hemorrhaging (Thank you Lord!).
Because it was so late in the evening, the OR was empty and we had the recovery room all to ourselves. The night time nurse was so nice and even worked hard getting a TV to work. I had to stay several more hours receiving an iron infusion because I had lost so much blood. But, thankfully I didn't need a full blood transfusion (sounds scarier to me). We were able to come home after midnight.
All while this was going on, my buddy Teri was putting together a meal rotation for our family and setting up people to help me take care of my kids. My mom kept the girls Wednesday and made us dinner. Thursday, my friend Jami kept Nate and Hannah (Nicole stayed home to help me) and she even brought me dinner and breakfast for the next morning. I know we have a few more nights of dinner coming. Today is the first day I have been out of bed. The kids are napping (and I'm on my way there). I am exhausted from the blood loss and have been battling a post-op migrain, but other than that I have no pain at all.
My sweet children knew something bad was going on. Tuesday before we went to the ER, they girls were so very good for me. I told them I was very sick and I needed to them to play nicely and color or cut paper or whatever. Nicole kept cutting out hearts for me and slipping them in the bathroom. She would bring me little cups of water. She was so sweet. Her "maternal" instincts kicked right in...and she was just trying to do everything she could do to make me feel better and make me happy. She was such a sweet gift to me. I will remember that always.
I am so very grateful for the friends and family who have surrounded us. I could not have cared for my children over the past couple of days without them. When I think about their love and sacrifice toward our family, it brings me to tears. I wish I had better words...but THANK YOU to everyone who has helped us through this week. The kind notes, flowers, labor of love and sacrifice...can never be repaid. Thank you my friends for everything you have done. We greatly....Greatly appreciate it!
3 comments:
Oh Michelle, I was crying reading this. Im so so glad you are ok now. I know you have many frirnds ti help but if you need one more Id love to help in any way. maybe a cooked dinner I could bring over?
Michele, Hello there!! Soon as I heard on Monday what was going on, I got several people onto praying for you. I knew you were going through alot, but also knew, the Lord was right there beside you and holding you tightly in his loving arms.
I praise God for the wonderful friends you have that jumped into help and also your mom & dad (my sister and brother-in-law)
How awesome that Nicole cut you out hearts and put them under the bathroom floor door, it just goes to show her love and her heart for you and how much she truly loves her mommy.
I was very sad to know you lost the baby, but also know, God's hand was in it and for some reason it was a better choice for him to take it home to Heaven. One day, you all will get to see him or her again when you go to Heaven yourself and meet the two children you have lost.
I continue to pray for you and know we love you dearly. I wish I could of done more then just pray and actually be there for you, but the miles are just way to many so prayer is all I could do from Ohio. Many ((((HUGS)))).
God Bless!!!
Aunt Julie
Oh my goodness Michele I just read this :( I was out in California the whole week and was totally out of the loop. I am so sorry to hear that happened, but so glad that you are okay and that people surrounded you with love and care. I wish that I could have been there to help :( Please let me know if you need a break and I will come and help watch your kids while you nap or something!
Love you!
Jen
Post a Comment