Friday, November 13, 2009

The loss of a dear friend

Yesterday just after work, we received word that one of Jeremy's best friends, Avery, suddenly passed away from complications with a surgery he had about 2 weeks ago.  It was shocking and difficult news to receive.  We had hopes of going to visit with Avery and his sweet wife, Joy, sometime this weekend.  Jeremy talked to Avery on the phone on Tuesday. 

Last night we spent several hours with some of Avery's close friends.  We spent time praying, reading the Word, sharing funny and inspiring stories and just simply trying to digest the news of this young and Godly man's death. 

I was able to go and visit with Joy this morning for a little while.  She is an amazing woman with an incredibly strong and inspiring faith.  I'm not sure I can put into words what I felt with her this morning. 

I really don't have many words to share right now.  Perhaps in a few days we'll post more about Avery and his dedication to the Lord and the impact he's had on so many lives.  He was young...just turned 30 last month.  He became sick this past year which required surgery just two weeks ago. 

I want to end with the verse that Avery clung to before his surgery, after his surgery, and now that his friends of holding onto after his death.

John 12:24-26
Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. He who loves his life loses it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it to life eternal. If anyone serves Me, he must follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also; if anyone serves Me, the Father will honor him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family.
Be there for her (his wife). I have to say with your Uncle George and I teaching the griefshare class I have learned alot and would love to share alot with you. Here are just a few tips....
give her a shoulder to cry on and an ear to listen. Even if you are quiet and no words to say, be there and listen. Let her cry....get it out....it is all part of the grieving process. John 11:35 Jesus wept.
Alot of times after a death your friends walk away from you...do not do this to her, she needs you and all of her other friends. Go online to www.griefshare.org and type in your zipcode and find a grief class near you all. We are seeing alot of healing within our class. It is all Bible based...backed with scripture. One thing that is very important, stay close to God, he will carry you through the grief if you ask him to and allow him. Do the daily homework....includes reading scripture daily....all part of healing. I am so sorry about the loss and it hurts and will hurt for along time, but I am just suggesting things that will help. Right now words are hard to find and say, but be there.
We will be teaching the "Surviving the Holidays" next Sunday afternoon and it is a 2 hour class, this is available also and should be in your area.
I am putting this on your blog just in case someone else who reads it might be grieving....this class is awesome and is a tremendous help. Crying is good, it is part of the grieving process. IN the class you learn the "why" why did this happen. You learn how to deal with the grief, you learn why Jesus wept, it is okay to cry, why it hurts so bad. God is awesome and is there for us, we have to TRUST in him and let him carry us through the process. God Bless!!
Love,
Aunt Julie

John said...

Oh my goodness. I am in total shock. Sweet, sweet Joy! They will be in my prayers.

John said...

That was me, Amanda.

Anonymous said...

So Sorry for the loss of your friend. God Bless Avery's family, my and Logan's prayers are with you.