Thursday, December 10, 2009

BUMing around

So....I'm getting low on my disposable diapers and feeling bummed that Nathan is just not quite big enough to be in the cloth diapers fully time.  There are two reasons for this...#1, he's still just a little to small, needs to "fatten up" a bit, and #2...my diapers are pretty stretched out from being used on two toddlers, one of whome (to remain anonymous of course) is a bit of a chunk! haha.  So...I'm afraid that once Nathan is big enough for the cloth diapers, that they won't fit him well because the elastic is stretched (anyone know how to fix elastic?)

Sooo....I've been dreading the time when I run out of disposables and have to buy some.  But, I think I've found an alternative, and I'm psyched about it!  You see, there are these little diapers called "g diapers".  They are a cross between disposable and cloth diapers.  They are cloth on the outside, but come with an insert that you deposit in the potty and they basically break down.  I've never considered g diapers because they are extremely expsive because you have to keep buying these little inserts.  These diapers are for people who are trying to help the environment, which is honestly not my main goal in cloth diapering.  I want to help our wallet, you know...save money.  Anyway....the other day at Target, I found an opened box of g diapers, for weight of 8-14 pounds.  I decided to check them out and got a GRANDE idea!  You see, like I said, they are cloth on the outside.  Then there is a little (non)plastic liner that those disposable inserts lay in.  Well...they are exactly the right size for my cloth, washable inserts that come with my bumgenius diapers.  So...I decided to try something....

I bought the box (on clearance) for $6 (less than a pack of diapers) and I got two cloth diapers, with 3 (non)plastic liners and 10 of those disposable insert things.  I've been laying my cloth inserts into the liners and using them just like I would use my cloth diapers.  So far, it's working!  I'm psyched, because this will be a nice alternative for us until he can fit full time into my real diapers.  This will cut WAY back on the number of disposables I'll need to use.  I really like cloth diapering because I think it's a good way for our family to save money.








 Here is the g diaper with my cloth insert in it.

Oh....on the same note...I found something cool out.  Remember those cloth diapers I found at Good will a few months ago and bought for a dollar a piece.  Well...they didn't work so well for us.  I didn't like the brand and the size was to big.  Well, the place I buy my diapers from, Cotton Babies, buys back gently used diapers.  I sent in those 8 diapers and got a $62 credit at their store.  This was enough for me to buy a few more BumGenius diapers, the ones I like, and a new wet back, which I Needed (I had to pay a few bucks extra).  So....anyway, I was pretty excited about this nice little kick back.  They are also a Christian owned company that offers cloth diaper scholarships to missionaries abroad who have children or work with children.  Pretty cool if you ask me.  So...that's my cloth diaper news of the month.  Anyone still reading? hehehe.

3 comments:

Beth H said...

I'm a super gDiaper momma and have a huge stash of smalls(and med, and larges) that I will be more than happy to lend to you while your little guy is small!! ALSO...there is a sale going on right now...Ends today to get 6 covers for $40. (buy the everyday 6 pack and use the code GoodFriend)
AND...I have a ton of coupons if you ever need to buy more.

Michele said...

Awe...thanks Beth! I have two g diaper covers, and I have 3 new bumgenius' coming. Maybe I could borrow a few more small g diaper covers. I think once he's grows out of the small g's, he should fit well into my BG, even if they are stretched out.

Do you use the g diaper inserts, or do you use cloth inside the g's?

Teri said...

YAY! Great innovating, mama!