Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Life with 3

....has been busy!  In the words of the great Dr. Seuss from his inspirational book "Hop on Pop"...

PLAY
DAY
We Play All Day

FIGHT
NIGHT
We Fight All Night.

Ok, ok...we don't fight all night, but we do play all day...and come nap time (my usual blogging hour) I am exhausted and in need of a break...well, usually a nap.  I find that my days go better with the kids when I have activities planned so we aren't just sitting around making huge messes, picking up messes,  fighting and getting stressed.  SOOOO...we've had a lot of fun baking and making crafts .  We've made several dozens cookies, made crafts like snowman bags (to put the cookies in for our friends/neighbors), candy cane crafts, painting Christmas ornaments and soon we'll be decorating little stockings (tomorrow maybe?)

We had a  VERY BUSY day yesterday.  We had 10 little people over here...all under 4 (well, one 4 year old) to decorate cookies and do crafts with us.  It was actually a lot of fun.  I don't know why I'm always asking people over with little kids.  Really, children are not my gift.  It has been a great area of learning for me to not get stressed over messes that other people's kids make, scratches that appear on our floor once they are gone, spit up my couch and poop in my trash cans.  BUT....I'm getting there!  I love my friends, and I like their kids...but it's hard for me...I'd rather have a house full of middle schoolers rather than pre-schoolers...weird I know!  But, that's not the stage of life we are in right now, so I am learning to love other people's kids AND their snotty noses and stinky diapers (thankfully the moms are usually here to deal with the last two:-)  I want my girls to remember our house being full of friends.  I want them to learn hospitality...and especially to learn that things don't have to be perfect for you to be hospitable.  Sometimes the best way to practice hospitality is to invite someone over despite the mess in the house or the dust on the bookshelves and NOT apologize for it:-)  Ahhh...I digress....maybe another day.  SO...fun fun fun yesterday.  But, I *thought* our camera was at Grammy and Gramps house, so I didn't take any pictures (I found it this morning in my purse! OYE!)  However, two of my friends took pictures...hopefully they'll send some over this way so I can share. 

My excuse for not blogging is that I'm tired when my "break" comes.  Jeremy has been so gracious to me...helping me in the evenings and even encouraging me to rest at nap times...because...we NEVER know what the night will be like.  MOST nights are great. Nathan wakes up, eats, goes back to sleep...usually twice (last night it was three times).  HOWEVER....there are those *other* nights.  You know the ones...when little sweet angel face baby is up ALL NIGHT LONG!  That would be the "We Fight All Night" from above.  Those nights do happen (last Sunday)....so I try to rest during the day, just in case that's what's in store for me later.  Hence, my lack of blogging.

****************************************************
My New cleaning supplies

I bought myself a new broom/dust pan, a sponge mop, and a wood floor duster thingy today.  First of all...the broom is GREAT!  My other broom was 6 years old...I figured it was fine, still had the bristles, what's so fancy about a new broom?  Seriously...I wish I would have bought a new one a LONG TIME AGO!  I really like it.  I realized this afternoon that I've just been pushing dust and particles around my house rather than actually sweeping them up!

My mop....is quite possibly....Broken!  Jeremy doesn't like it when I talk badly about myself...but, I seriously must be quite dense.  I can not, for the life of me, figure out how to get the mop head back on.  This is why I usually just get on my hands and knees and use a sponge.  But, I thought I'd try something "easier".  Hmgh...I'll have to wait for dear hubby to get home and help me, unfortunately my soapy water will no longer be hot:-(

Speaking of cleaning supplies....I bought them today at Target....yes, I ventured there, all by myself with three little ones in tow (ok...one in my handy dandy moby wrap (I'm getting it Teri!)).

AND NOW FOR THE STORY....

I had a cart full of stuff, had just finished checking out. Hannah was sitting in the cart seat, Nicole was walking beside me, and Nathan was waking up and crying in the carrier (my moby wrap).  I was trying to hold Nicole's hand, my purse and push the cart with one hand.  We were going out the doors and hit a bump.  My broom, and mop both went a tumbling to the ground.  There were two men walking about behind me, and a lady behind them.  So...here I am, with  (at this point) a screaming baby, an obedient 3 year old who would not let go of my hand, a concerned 19 month old who was yelling "uh oh" and pointing to the floor, and  a mop and broom on the ground.

What do these every so kind and sweet men do?

Stop
Let out a frustrated breathe of air
Step to the side
And
help Walk around me!

Never once offering or even consider stopping to help me pick up my things that fell to the ground.

Thank you kind gentlemen for your concern.  I greatly appreciated it.  It was the perfect opportunity to teach my pre-schooler that we should "do unto others as we would have them do unto you" and explain that it would have been really nice for you to stop.  However, since you didn't, we embarked upon a learning experience to look for others who may need a hand and help them out in the future. 

Oh yeah, the lady just walked around us too (and they had a tight fit to get around a large shopping cart, a lady with a baby strapped to her front and a little girl who has no idea what "personal space is")

And that my friends is why I'm going to go "rest" now:-) 

I'll try to get some pictures up again soon!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Naples people are jerks. Remember my airport story? That stuff doesn't happen up here!!!