Friday, June 25, 2010

Rookery Bay


Last August, I took the girls to Rookery Bay's Learning Center.  The Rookery Bay organization takes care of over 100,000 acres of SW Florida coastline and bays.  When I was in middle school, I went to a summer camp at Rookery Bay.  It's one of my favorite summer memories.  I enjoyed the camp and enjoyed all of the really neat things we did.  Well, now they've got this really nice learning center full of exhibits, a small theater, a lookout area, several bridges, walkways and trails.

During the summer they have free kids fridays.  I thought that was what I went to last year.  After tday, I'm pretty sure I didn't!  It was full of children, and this week they were learning about sharks.  Nicole got scared about 1 minute into the talk about sharks, so we abandoned the group of kids and explored on our own. 

They have a nice large tank that even has a little area you can be surrounded on all sides except your back by water.  Here is a picture of Nicole, looking down on her in the area.

We went on a little walk over a bridge to a closed trail.  Aren't these girls adorable!  They held hands all by themselves!  I love it when they are sweet to each on without my prompting.

The girls and grammy all played in the boat play area.  Nicole was driving them to Peyton's house, just 45 seconds away ; )

Hannah enjoyed looking at all of the fish.  I think she especially liked the sea horse.

No, that's not a real sea horse I'm holding silly!  I didn't take a picture of the real ones. 

Last, but not least, what's an adventure to a Florida wildlife sanctuary without meeting some alligators?

No...they aren't real...but Hannah thought they were at first.  Her eyes got huge and then became very afraid! haha.

I really like going here.  But, I would suggest going on a day other than Friday.  Here's why.  Children under 6 get in for free anyway, so who cares if it's free kid friday, at least right now.  There are less people on other days, and there is even a scavanger hunt to do (except on Fridays).  I think we'll go back again in a few weeks, or at the end of the summer.  Do you want to come?

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Yes, I do!

Michele said...

Hey....which Jennifer is this? I can't see your profile.

Jennifer said...

Jen G

Michele said...

OK Jen G. I'll let you know when we go again:-)

Aunt Julie said...

YES I DO......WAIT I HAVE TO BOOK A PLANE TICKET THEN.