Saturday, August 21, 2010

It's not Sew easy

I have a problem.  I enjoy doing something that I'm not very good at.  Really, I'm not being humble.  I'll give you proof in a minute. 

I was graciously given a sewing machine last November by a woman I met by chance at a fabric store.  She is a sewing instructor and has been kind enough to answer zillions of questions by e-mail.  I realized last year that I enjoyed sitting down and making something with my own two hands.

Sewing is usually something I do while Jeremy is out of town.  It keeps my mind busy so I don't get scared at every little noise outside.  I have learned a lot in the past year.  I have a few projects that I like to make because it just takes a little while, so I can finish them in one evening.

I've already shown you my casserole carriers.  These are practical little things that I think can be very handy.  I can make these things, but I can't make them nicely.  I keep trying, and keep failing.  My issue is with bias tape.  Something that I feel is an advanced skill..at least for me.  I simply can not keep the bias tape on straight while sewing (because honestly....I can't sew a straight line). 

I was trying to make a carrier for me.  I love this fabric.  It is bright blue with a picnic on one side, and watermelon seeds on the other.  Perfect for this handy little thing, because you usually use it to take food to share. 


The sad thing is....I didn't even know I messed up until it was too late.  Although I haven't tried ripping the seem, I can't imagine it going well.  And, I would have to start all over.  When this happened to me earlier this summer, I put my machine away and decided that I stunk at sewing and to just give it up.

This is what it is suppose to look like.

I made this for Erica in April for her birthday.

cute, isn't it?


 I even made a pot holder and an oven glove.  The pot holder wasn't square, and the oven glove, although cute, was not useable....you couldn't use your thumb! haha.  But, look at how "finished" the project looks.  This seriously took me at least 3 times as long as normal.  Like, probably close to six hours.

So, I made this cute pink one back in April....tried to make more in Mayish and messed up....so I took a break.

But, after a couple months and with Jeremy away for the week for work, I got my machine back out and tried again.  I still couldn't sew bias tape.  I decided to make a little blanket for a friend.  I didn't take pictures because it turned out so bad.  Seriously....I'm not being humble.  It was bad.  Then, I decided to make the last curtain for the children's room.  My first two curtains were perfect (except that I measure about an inch shorter than I wanted...but the two curtains were straight, albeit short).  My last curtain....crooked.  As in, one side is a good 3 inches shorter than the other side.  I promise...I measured 3 times.  I used a 90 degree ruler even.  I ironed. I did everything "right".  I went S.L.O.W. and thought I made another perfect curtain.  Nope...it's bad (luckily, the bunk bed buts up against this window, so it's hard to see the bottom of the curtain unless you are looking for it).

Again...I was disappointed, because I enjoyed something that I was simply NOT gifted at.  I don't have an artistic bone in my body.  I just don't.  And, I can't fake it.  I have bought fancy cutting mats, rotary cutting tools, rules, everything...and I can't seem to cut a straight line on my fabric. 

So...all that to say, I did make two casserole carrier lately.  I already know you will tell me they are great and you are so impressed.  OK, thank you.  But, they are not the way I have invisioned them.  I wanted contrasting bias tape on them to make the "pop" and look "finished".  I thought....I really did think...that if I could make them the way I see them in my mind, I could actually sell them.  But, I can not sell them the way I make them, not for the price I wanted to make it worth my time.  However, I can give them as gifts to friends and family.  Because, they are handy and useful.  And, I know my friends and family will still love me, even if the edges are "finished". 

This one I made for Tiffany.  Her birthday is today.  She picked out the fabric a few months ago.  This is my favorite so far.  I love the fabric....let me say that again.  I LOVE THE FABRIC.  I almost didn't give this to her and kept it for myself :)

The inside


Of course I left room for the gel pack on the bottom.  That was my idea outside of the pattern I used.  I can't seem to buy the gel packs separately though.  It would be nice if I could.

This one I made for my friend Teri.  I actually haven't given it to her yet, but I don't think she gets on my blog all the time.  When I saw this fabric, it made me think of her.  So, I picked this one out for her.  I hope she likes it. 



In all honesty, I didn't like the fabric when it came in the mail, but once I cut it out and started putting it together, I realized it would make a super cute carrier.  I really really like it now. 

Teri is a member of MOPS and so she takes breakfast dishes a few times a year to church to share.  Hopefully this will help her as she juggles two children.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You, my friend, DO NOT stink at sewing. There are many people out there who can't even thread a sewing machine! I find that when I make my own bias tape it's a lot easier to sew on. Also, here's a good video that helped me when learning how to use the stuff: http://angrychicken.typepad.com/angry_chicken/2008/03/bias-tape-tutor.html

It shows how to sew it on all by machine. Hope that helps! And, if you don't get something perfect at first who cares, just keep on going. It's those little 'mistakes' that make something handmade anyway. The more you sew the better you get, so keep on going girl. You ARE talented!

Michele said...

Thanks Kirsten,
I have watched some of those angry chicken videos. I like them...they make it look so easy! I wouldn't even think to attempt to make my own tape. Do you have a tape maker? Do you know that I can't even tell which way the grain of the fabric is going? That's kind of important...you know?

I do think *part* of my problem with the bias tape is that I am using them on these double sided, quilted pieces...so they are kind of thick. But, I tried to use blanket satin to finish a blanket recently (it's kind of like bias tape). And, it tanked! I do want to try that again though...I really think I can do it.

My problem is getting my eyes, hands, fingers, fabric and brain to work together....they seem to work against each other.

Anonymous said...

I swear I can never get satin binding right either. It's a pain to work with because it's so slippery! When I make my own binding I don't even cut on the bias. Cutting on the bias really only matters if you're going around a curve and since I haven't ever used binding on a curve I just cut it straight (2.5 inches wide) and piece it together. Super simple and easy. I don't have a bias tape maker, I just iron it in half and that's it. Single fold. I'm a cheater.

For your qulited fabric it might be easier for you to just get a 1/4 yard of fabric and cut it 3'' wide and then use that as your binding. That way it'll be thicker and you'll have more room to work with but that's just an idea. You could try it out with scraps first. I wish I was back in Naples so we could have a sewing afternoon/morning together and bounce ideas off each other. I'll be in Naples soon!! :)

Michele said...

Hmmm...ok, those are good ideas. I'll try them.

If you make your bias tape single fold, don't the edges fray?

I do think it would be easier if the bias tape was fatter.

Anonymous said...

Do it like this: http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransson/2009/04/quilt-along-15-making-and-sewing-binding.html